Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flange Binding Question >

Flange Binding Question

Flange Binding Question

Old 08-11-2016, 02:14 PM

Default Flange Binding Question

All of the tutorials I've seen on flange binding show the binding sewn to the back of the quilt & then flipped over to the front & then machine stitched in the ditch where the flange meets the larger binding piece. I want to try a flange binding but want to be able to sew the binding on the front of the quilt & flip it to the back & then hand sew down my binding on the back of the quilt. Has anyone ever done it this way? Do you have a tutorial link that I could see how it's done this way? Maybe I will just experiment on a piece of sample & sort of try to figure it out. Thanks for your help! I did watch Missouri Star Quilts tutorial & Jenny flips hers to the front also.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:23 PM

Maybe what you are wanting to do is the flat fold piping and then the binding. Will give you the same look as a flange binding. You make the piping first, sew it on, then sew your binding. I just got Alex Anderson's book, "Finish It" and that is what she shows to do. At the corners, you just cross over, no miters.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

You can try sewing a binding to the front but you can't see what you are sewing and if you are of a bit, it is going to show.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

I have used this technique numerous times with great success.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html
Old 08-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Maybe what you are wanting to do is the flat fold piping and then the binding. Will give you the same look as a flange binding. You make the piping first, sew it on, then sew your binding. I just got Alex Anderson's book, "Finish It" and that is what she shows to do. At the corners, you just cross over, no miters.
I do it this way also. Numerous times. Always comes out looking great, and so easy ...
Old 08-14-2016, 12:55 PM

I agree with Patricia Drew and Quilter Momma. Attach the piping and then the binding. Sew as usual. Might want to add a bit to width to the binding as the quilt will now have another double layer of fabrics and I like mine snugged up. Cut mine out per normal width before I sent quilt to be quilted. Got the notion to add the flange and then oops! No more fabric, so sometimes it was a tug of war to get the binding to cover.