Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel backing... will it pill? >

Flannel backing... will it pill?

Flannel backing... will it pill?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:11 AM

Thanks everyone! It sounds about like I expected... you never know. But I do trust Moda, so I am willing to give it a shot after hearing your comments. Normally I would use a woven cotton, but I don't want this one slipping off since it is for my aunt with mobility issues. I will have to ask her to keep me posted on how it wears over time.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I bought some flannel at JoAnn's and have never had flannel do like this after washing. It was like threads loose all over and pilling. Loved the print and way it felt and paid $9+ on sale. Because it was washed they wouldn't take it back. I'll use it for dog beds but makes me angry because of what I paid for it.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I bought some flannel at JoAnn's and have never had flannel do like this after washing. It was like threads loose all over and pilling. Loved the print and way it felt and paid $9+ on sale. Because it was washed they wouldn't take it back. I'll use it for dog beds but makes me angry because of what I paid for it.
This is why I am always afraid to purchase fabric from the big box stores. Even their battings made by the same companies you see in quilt shops aren't as good... they give the lower quality stuff to the large stores because they chew them down on their prices.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 AM

Flannels are so hit and miss. I've had it where I used two different colors of the "same" flannel and one pilled and the other didn't. Now I pre-wash my flannel at least twice if not three times...sometimes (not always) I can spot flannel that's going to get weird after a few washings.

So far the only flannel I trust 100% is Connecting Threads. They have really nice thick flannel and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any pilling from their stuff.

I still love flannel in quilts though and refuse to give it up!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I have gotten flannel from Walmart that washed better than this. I hate buying online but may try Connecting threads.
Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Flannels are so hit and miss. I've had it where I used two different colors of the "same" flannel and one pilled and the other didn't. Now I pre-wash my flannel at least twice if not three times...sometimes (not always) I can spot flannel that's going to get weird after a few washings.

So far the only flannel I trust 100% is Connecting Threads. They have really nice thick flannel and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any pilling from their stuff.

I still love flannel in quilts though and refuse to give it up!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Vat

Flannel is really nice for backs but be sure you wash and DRY the fabric at least 3 times before using it, this is for shrinkage. Once is not enough. Good Luck ! ! !
Old 09-30-2015, 04:16 AM

I always thought the better the quality the less it pilled. But from reading some of the above posts, I guess that is not the case. I have a couple of Moda flannel quilts that I made several years ago, maybe 7 or 8 yrs., they've been washed several, several times. The nap on the flannel is GONE, and now feels like soft soft cottons. I don't think they ever pilled up.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:18 AM

I am sitting here right now replying to this thread using a flannel lap quilt and it is the softest quilt. The top is made from flannel backs of hubby's work shirts - he's a retired farmer so the shirts very used. The back is a purchased piece of flannel from a Joann's fabric store. It is about 10 years old - used all the time and is my blankie - I love it. It's a tied quilt, been washed many times and it's like new except softer now. So I guess you just have to look, touch, and feel flannel when buying and hope for the best.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 AM

If you are going into a LQS to get your flannel, you will be able to see the end of the bolt. If it says "anti pill", then it should not pill over time. If you do see it on the end of the bolt or you are ordering it on line, then you need to ask. I have found that most people who sell fabric, know what they are selling and are very happy to help. Good luck
Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 AM

I had some fabric I had bought at a rummage sale. She had bolts of 1000 yards there. Leftovers from making bedspreads and drapery for motels. I used some for a back on my quilt, and I couldn't believe how much that pilled. It was a glossy fabric. I can take a sweater de-piller and scrape it off. So not only flannel pills.