Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel as batting for rag quilt- prewash? >

Flannel as batting for rag quilt- prewash?

Flannel as batting for rag quilt- prewash?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Default Flannel as batting for rag quilt- prewash?

I would like to make a rag quilt with cotton squares and use flannel for batting - same size as the flannel squares. The look I am going for is a soft fluffy edge. I am not sure if I should prewash the flannel as it may effect the ragging...but then if I don't , i wonder if the quilt squares will be wonky when the flannel shrinks. Maybe I should use minky? Whatever that is! Please advise. Thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 PM

I only use flannel on my rag quilts and don't prewash. I don't prewash my fabric either. It makes a nice soft raggedy edge. The squares aren't wonky, just comfortably crinkled and snuggly. Go for it, it's easy and depending on what color flannel you choose, it can be quite striking!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I use 3 layers of flannel, all cut to the same size, in my rag quilts. I do wash everything for many reasons - shrinkage, bleeding, and chemicals in the fabrics. With flannel I also find out whether the fabric will pill, and if it does I use it only in the middle layer. Washing does not affect the ragging at all. I can't really think of any reason not to wash the flannel, unless it's already cut into pieces. However I don't really think shrinkage of the flannel will be an issue for you if you choose not to wash.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 PM

wash the flannel.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

ive made many- some with pre-washed fabrics, some without; some with some of the fabrics pre-washed along with some that were not- all have turned out just fine. if you are concerned with bleeding, or chemicals in the fabric pre=wash, if those are not issues with the fabric you are using save yourself the step & wait till it's all done to wash it. pre-washing is often a personal choice- and there are those folks who state with great conviction that flannel should always be pre-washed 2 or 3 times before using it. I have made quite a few wonderfully beautiful quilts using flannels that were not prewashed. they have never become 'wonky'; shrunk unevenly; or had any other bad results. I tend to pre-wash if the fabric is thin, the weave loose- needs 'tightening up'; if there is a funky smell to the fabric or if there is a funky feel to the fabric- or if there may be an issue with colors running- otherwise I often don't worry about it. hundreds of quilts later- I will stick to wash when I think I need to- don't bother when it's not necessary; and don't worry about the 'quilt police' who think that's a HUGE crime.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 AM

I never prewash mine. If I think there may be a problem then I just throw a Shout color catcher in with it. I also cut my middle layer an inch smaller than the other 2 so it won't be hanging out in the ragging. I also will take my rag quilts to the laundromat when I wash them for the first time so that I don't have such a mess in my washer and dryer. Supposedly the dryer at the laundromat will pull a lot more of the lint out. I learned this from a lady at church when I first started doing rag quilts. They are fun. Just made several this summer for my granddaughter that was born in August. Then had to make some doll sized ones since she was born a month early and so tiny.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bullock2us View Post
I never prewash mine. If I think there may be a problem then I just throw a Shout color catcher in with it. I also cut my middle layer an inch smaller than the other 2 so it won't be hanging out in the ragging. I also will take my rag quilts to the laundromat when I wash them for the first time so that I don't have such a mess in my washer and dryer. Supposedly the dryer at the laundromat will pull a lot more of the lint out. I learned this from a lady at church when I first started doing rag quilts. They are fun. Just made several this summer for my granddaughter that was born in August. Then had to make some doll sized ones since she was born a month early and so tiny.
I agree. I never pre-washed my flannel but taking it to the laundromat to wash a rag quilt for the first time, is the ONLY way to go. Had a friend who ended up calling a plumber because her line got clogged. Trust me, it is a lot less expensive to go to the laundromat then pay the plumber his invoice!! I don't think you really need to worry, What did we do before color catchers???
Attached Thumbnails rag-quilt.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Thank-you everyone. I will give this a go!