Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flannel as Batting Seam?

how would you sew your flannel together to make it larger when using it as a batting???

what Im thinking of doing is using it as a bottom and middle all in one, then quilt the top to it, two layers.

I have never used flannel this way and want to avoid a bulky seam, especially since Im doing two layers I dont want it to show on the front.

any suggestions??? or experiances????

thank you

Blog Entries
    Butt the edges together and zigzag over the two of them.. :)

and make sure the flannel has been washed first,its shrinks more than fabric,other than that go for it

Blog Entries
    Wash and dry it twice, just to make sure that it has shrunk down completely.

Are you using two layers of flannel? One for the batting and one for the backing? I would use 1/2" seams as flannel tends to fray more than some fabrics. If using two layers and sewing each one to make the pieces big enough, I would stagger the seams, so they are not stacked on top of each other. Maybe one towards the top and the other flipped around towards the bottom.

I havent decided what Im going to do yet... thought I would ask the "experts" thank you

John Flynn has a free lesson on his website on how to figure and piece your backing on the diagonal. You could piece your batting layer and backing layer in opposite directions so there's not a seam in the same place in both layers. The only place there would be a double layer is where the seams cross. Here's the link:

http://www.flynnquilt.com/media/uplo...onalpb1103.pdf

If that doesn't work, just go to the John Flynn website and click on "John's Workshop" to get to "Free Patterns"

oooohhh! I like that!