Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel binding? >

Flannel binding?

Flannel binding?

Old 09-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Default Flannel binding?

I'm using flannel for the backing of a baby quilt. Has anyone done the binding in flannel? The front is regular cotton. Just wondering how this would work.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:40 PM

My friend has done it. I have not. There are 2 reasons I have not. 1.) I do the double binding, meaning I cut 2.5 inches and fold it is half, so that would be very bulky 2.) I don't think the flannel would hold up as well.

Someone made my great niece and nephew flannel quilts and made the edging ruffles made of the flannel. The quilts are now 7 years old and the ruffles still are okay.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:53 PM

I have folded over the backing to the front to make a binding then machine stitched down. Great way to finish a baby quilt.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

It should work well. Do a test with it. Are you doing double fold? Just fold the fabric around the edge of the quilt and see how it looks. I do this test all the time to see if I am going to like any binding. I think flannel would be a grand finish.
peace
Old 09-11-2016, 07:07 PM

I think it would depend on the quality of the flannel that you are using. If high-quality flannel, I don't see why it shouldn't work well, particularly if pre-shrunk. Then treat as normal quilting cotton. If low-quality flannel, not sure I would try it.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I have used flannel for binding a few times. I cut it a little wider than I cut for regulate cottons and I use a slightly wider seam allowance. ( 3/8" instead of 1/4") works fine. Flannel is easy to hand stitch through.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:23 PM

It does not weather very well in the wash. The fold starts to become thread bare in a matter of months if it is washed on a regular basis.

At a very minimum if you really, really want flannel, I would back it with Bosal 100% cotton stabilizer. Then, you also want to be sure to sew it at 1/2" rather than the standard 1/4" and cut on the bias to give it added durability (Cut on bias at 2 5/8").

I can't make any recommendations about doing self-binding. I've tried it & it just seems much, much more difficult & time consuming than a basic double-fold French binding. The only reason I'd ever do that again is if I didn't have enough material to do a standard binding.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 AM

I have used it often on baby quilts. It is a bit bulky-er but looks nice. I have not noticed it wearing any faster than cotton