Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Blanket with Crochet Edge >

Flannel Blanket with Crochet Edge

Flannel Blanket with Crochet Edge

Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM

I've made quite a few of them. I just serge the edge with a narrow rolled hem then just used my crochet hook to poke the hole through the flannel. Have never had a problem with it not going through. I just eyeball the distance and it turn out well. Fun to do and new moms just love them because they are so light. And the cost is so low - just takes a little time - but it's mindless TV work. Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
I've made quite a few of them. I just serge the edge with a narrow rolled hem then just used my crochet hook to poke the hole through the flannel. Have never had a problem with it not going through. I just eyeball the distance and it turn out well. Fun to do and new moms just love them because they are so light. And the cost is so low - just takes a little time - but it's mindless TV work. Enjoy!
Did you make them single or double layers of flannel? That's what I thought........do my sewing and then finish while watching TV.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 PM

HOpe you post a photo! What could be more fun, quilting and crocheting!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Annthreecats, thanks so much for the instructions. I am making receiving blanket using double layers of flannel. My daughter had some when her son was born and they are wonderful. So, I thought I would make some and do the crochet thing around them. Love the look of the crocheted edging.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 AM

I made some flannel blankets and my grandmothe crocheted around the edges. I really liked them. I would post pictures but they have been packed away for 30 years,
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Thamk you for the instructions!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 AM

I used to do it for baby blankets all the time.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 AM

There are some great visuals on this website:
http://sewforthandsewon.wordpress.co...-stitch-blade/

They are using a specific tool but you can get some great ideas.
Ann in TN
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
I made one for my newest cousin born in June. It was super easy to do. I used fleece material. Here are the instructions I used.

Prepare the fleece. There are several ways you can do this. You can blanket stitch around the entire piece of fleece. You can use a serger to serge around the piece and then crochet in the serger stitching. Or you can go through and make holes around the edge of the fleece. This is the method I use. I use a ruler/tape measure of some kind and washable marker to make marks 1/4 inch apart about 3/4 inch in from the edge around the entire blanket. If you have a small (1/16) hole punch you could use that to make the holes. I use a seam ripper and just poke it through the fleece at every mark. With this method as you are crocheting you'll occasionally come to a hole that has closed up (or that you skipped) and you'll have to punch it again. I don't know why this happens, but it does, so just keep the seam ripper handy so you don't have to wander off to go find it.

Now comes the fun part!! Once all the holes are ready. Single crochet into each hole with a chain inbetween each single crochet, all the way around the fleece rounding the corners by putting 3 single stitches in each corner. There is no need to count and when it comes to the second round you'll be fudging thenumbers a little to get it to come out even. Chain three when you get to the end to get up to the next row. The second row will be: double crochet, double crochet, chain one (repeat). Your chain will count as the first double, then double crochet again into the single crochet below it. When you chain, skip a stitch on the single crochet row so you get a little space between the two doubles. (Is this making sense?) For corners: 2dc, ch3, 2dc. These spaces make a great place to weave in a ribbon for an extra special touch. Chain one to get up to the next row after you've gone around.
The third row is the hardest. This row makes a cute, little bumped edging. Single crochet in the first double below then in the "hole" or space you created in the second row make one single crochet, chain two, and another single crochet. Repeat. So it will be *sc, sc, ch2, sc, sc* repeat around the outside edge. For the corners: sc, ch2, sc, sc, ch 2, sc. When you get all the way around finish it off. If you have to add a few stitches or skip a few to make it come out even it won't matter. Just play around with it a bit until it looks right.
How about using Tiger Tape. Wouldn't that be easier?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
There are some great visuals on this website:
http://sewforthandsewon.wordpress.co...-stitch-blade/

They are using a specific tool but you can get some great ideas.
Ann in TN
This is a great! Thanks!