Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flannel quilt - do you bind with flannel? >

flannel quilt - do you bind with flannel?

flannel quilt - do you bind with flannel?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Default flannel quilt - do you bind with flannel?

I am working on a flannel quilt for my couch... and I am thinking about the binding. I have made flannl baby quilts in the past and did bind them with flannel. I wasn't really thrilled with that. When mitered the corners it seemed bulky. So I am wondering what others do. Do you bind with flannel? or go to cotton for the binding?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM

I do both, but agree with you about the bulkiness of flannel. It's not so bad if you bring the backing around to the front and self bind using flannel.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:28 PM

Like Bakermom, I've done both. I also have used a brushed cotton where it feels like cotton on one side and flannelly on the other, not sure what it's called, but it usually comes in plaid almost like a homespun. That way I get the flannel feel and it is not so bulky.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:46 PM

Maybe a flannel binding would be less bulky if you rolled it from the backing? Just a thought, I've never tried it.

Another possibility is rounding the corners so that you don't have to miter - another technique I haven't tried!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Maybe a flannel binding would be less bulky if you rolled it from the backing? Just a thought, I've never tried it.

Another possibility is rounding the corners so that you don't have to miter - another technique I haven't tried!
I've done both of these, and both work!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:41 AM

cathyvv - good idea of rounding the corners.. I am going to think about that I have pulled the backing to the front to bind before and I agree it does seem less bulky that way. Chester the bunny - I am going to check around for that brushed cotton fabric you mentioned. I have never heard of that before Thanks everyone
Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 AM

When I back with flannel I almost always bring it around to the front. Exception is for scrappy quilts; I like to bind scrappy quilts with binding scraps (since I keep those, too!)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

The binding it the first thing to fail on a quilt so I have always used the double fold cotton especially since it is not as stretchy as flannel.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 AM

I made a crib blanket out of plaid flannel for my son when he was a baby. I used a fleece backing and cut it large so I could use the fleece backing for binding. I tied it with old yarn and used double batting. (I was dirt poor with a very cold house!)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 PM

I just want to say I'm glad that you asked this question because I just got finished with flannel quilt that is going to have to be done something with the when it comes to the binding. I have never binned one before and didn't want the corners all bulky. The in put of others helped me decide what I want to do with my quilt. Thank you