Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Flannel rag quilt question

Blog Entries
    I made my very first rag quilt. Turned out quite nicely. Washed and dried it. My question - will it ever stop shedding?

I've had mine for 4 year and it still sheds like a german shepard in the spring. My kids call it "The Attacking Quilt" Its warm and comfy and everyone loves it.

One day somewhere in time quilt will stop shedding. This will happen only if you live long enough. Did you do a zig-zag stitch around the outer edge. I do a stitch about 1/2 inch from edge.

Blog Entries
    You can wet the frayed seams, take a stiff brush and brush them well, that will help remove a lot of the little strings :D:D:D

OH, Heck, what a few strings when you have a quilt to show for them.....Just kidding! I'm going to do a quilt dance when my first quilt is done and I wouldn't care if it frayed or not for the rest of my life.....LOL

Good question! I will have to ask my DDIL since I have given both my DGKs rag quilts. I know they use them all the time. Never thought that they wouldn't stop shedding.

Blog Entries
    Eventually. You can also make them out of fleece; it doesn't shred just curls. Jeans also are good. I have the accuquilt and cut alot of flannel and sew the squares together and store them away. When I need a fast quilt for a gift I grab them; sort out the ones according to who its for and sew them together. I made one for my grandson to take to school and embroidered his name, the school name and year on it. His mom will want to keep it.

kso
    Only if you live on a planet, far, far away.

Be sure to vacuum out your dryer periodically to be on the safe side....the lint is extremely flammable!