Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flannel Rag Quilt Question

Blog Entries
    I've made flannel quilts with good quality Moda flannel that didn't shrink much, and other quilts with some coarser Joann's flannel that shrunk a LOT. So, IMO, it depends on the quality of the flannel.

Mine didn't shrink that I noticed.

Mine didn't shrink much.

Blog Entries
    I had a floor length nightgown I made shrink to just below my knee. Good thing it was a roomy pattern.

Blog Entries
    Fabric shrinks differently when washed by itself and when washed after being quilted to a batt. When washed by itself, some flannels shrink a *lot*! These same flannels, after being quilted to a batt, will shrink only as much as the batting allows. That's why flannel shrinkage becomes pretty much a non-issue when making rag quilts.

I'm making one right now. Have all the squares done and ready to sew together. I'm already fed up with it because when I start sewing the squares together my fabric doesn't seem to want to feed through. I am using a walking foot but that doesn't seem to help. Am I doing something wrong?

I found that if you decrease the upper tension on the sewing machine (like you do when quilting), helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I'm making one right now. Have all the squares done and ready to sew together. I'm already fed up with it because when I start sewing the squares together my fabric doesn't seem to want to feed through. I am using a walking foot but that doesn't seem to help. Am I doing something wrong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2