Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flannel and shrinkage?

Hi All-

I would like to use flannel for the backing of a quilt I am making for a child. I was wondering, do I need to WASH the flannel first AND DRY IT? How much will it shrink?? What is the "right" process?? Thanks!

I always wash flannel. I am not a pre-washer but I have found even the best flannel has a shrinkage factor. Can't say by how much because that would depend on the flannel you are using, but it is significant.

I wash and dry all my fabrics before I use them. It they are going to shrink (Flannel shrinks) or the color run, I wnat to know that BEFORE I use it in a quilt.

Definately wash your flannel, your you might be disappointed with the outcome. Flannel can shrink quite a bit.

If you buy good flannel (I like Maywood Studios) I never wash it. After all is said and done and I wash the quilt, I never have a problem. Maywood Studios flannel is brush like 3 times and is so soft, and the more you wash the better it gets.

Blog Entries
    With flannel unless you are making a rag quilt , needs to be washed to get rid of the shrinkage, especially if you are using it with cotton. Cotton and Flannel will shrink at different rates .Some have even suggested washing more than once and use hot water.

Ok, so do I just throw the fabric into the dryer too? or do I need to hang it outside on the line to dry it?

I would definitely use the dryer.

I wash mine as I know it does shrink. I do alot of machine embroidery on flannel as well and always wash it because if I embroider it before hand then when it shrinks the design is all scrunched. Probably will cause you shrinkage problems with quilting it too if you don't wash it before hand.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit
    Hi All-

I would like to use flannel for the backing of a quilt I am making for a child. I was wondering, do I need to WASH the flannel first

AND DRY IT?

How much will it shrink?? What is the "right" process?? Thanks!

Sorry - sometimes my mind goes very "literal"

You were planning to sew it while it was WET?

Measure it before you wash and dry it and then measure it afterwards. Let us know the results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast