Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Squares sashed with quilting cotton...Good or Bad idea? >

Flannel Squares sashed with quilting cotton...Good or Bad idea?

Flannel Squares sashed with quilting cotton...Good or Bad idea?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 PM

Default Flannel Squares sashed with quilting cotton...Good or Bad idea?

I have a few scraps of some Olaf print Flannel, enough I thought I might make into a kids charity quilt by sashing some squares, probably about 4" ones, with some solid cotton. It's such cute fabric, but not enough to make a whole top or back with on its own. Good idea or bad mixing flannel with cotton on a quilt top?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 PM

Crazy quilts mix all kinds of fabric and are just fine. Flannel shrinks way more than some other fabrics, so just make sure your fabrics are all pre-shrunk so you don't end up with willy nilly shrinkage.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
Crazy quilts mix all kinds of fabric and are just fine. Flannel shrinks way more than some other fabrics, so just make sure your fabrics are all pre-shrunk so you don't end up with willy nilly shrinkage.
Good point on the crazy quilt idea! I prewash all my fabric beforehand, so should be good. Thought it might be kinda fun to have some soft fuzzy spots on the quilt .
Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 PM

Mixing is fine for a comfort/love quilt. It will not last as long, but it will make a darling gift for a child. Just be sure to pre-shrink all your fabrics, to use a 3/8" or 1/2" seam allowance instead of 1/4", and maybe to use a shorter stitch length to reinforce the seam and prevent unraveling. To prolong its life, I would pre-wash in cold water & put a note on the quilt tag or pinned to your quilt encouraging the recipient to do the same.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Mixing is fine for a comfort/love quilt. It will not last as long, but it will make a darling gift for a child. Just be sure to pre-shrink all your fabrics, to use a 3/8" or 1/2" seam allowance instead of 1/4", and maybe to use a shorter stitch length to reinforce the seam and prevent unraveling. To prolong its life, I would pre-wash in cold water & put a note on the quilt tag or pinned to your quilt encouraging the recipient to do the same.
Are you saying it won't last long because flannel's tendancy to fray more easily or just wear out quicker? We use it on quilt backs all the time, so not sure how it would be different.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 AM
Power Poster

I mix regular cottons and flannels all the time. Never a problem. 95% of my quilts contain at least a little flannel.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
Are you saying it won't last long because flannel's tendancy to fray more easily or just wear out quicker? We use it on quilt backs all the time, so not sure how it would be different.

I dont one understand the ( it won't last long) comment....the flannel/ cotton quilt I made my daughter when she was 2 ( she turns 40 this month) has held up to thousands of launderings, trips, forts, picnics. I haven't had any fall apart due to flannel being used.... How long is ( not long?)
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I dont one understand the ( it won't last long) comment....the flannel/ cotton quilt I made my daughter when she was 2 ( she turns 40 this month) has held up to thousands of launderings, trips, forts, picnics. I haven't had any fall apart due to flannel being used.... How long is ( not long?)
Great! I will proceed . My biggest concern was stretch, but when I compare my flannel to my cotton they both stretch pretty equally and also thought if I stick to straight grain cuts and smallish squares I should be pretty safe. Thanks for your report back on your personal experience on the longevity during wear and tear .
Old 03-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I did just the opposite, used flannel to sash cotton blocks in this quilt - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t248015.html. If it's a good quality flannel it should last just as long as the cotton.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I did just the opposite, used flannel to sash cotton blocks in this quilt - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t248015.html. If it's a good quality flannel it should last just as long as the cotton.
Nice! Thanks! I had been thinking if I don't quite have enough Olaf I could mix in a few cotton blocks to fill in. Perfect!