Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel >

Flannel

Flannel

Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Default Flannel

Is there a way to tell the front from the back of the fabric when using a one color piece of flannel fabric? I bought a piece to use on the back of a baby quilt, and after I got it home, I can't tell the difference. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

in some cases you can tell by looking at the selvedge. One side will be smoother than the other
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM

There probably is a right way. I just keep flipping it back and forth until I'm convinced one side is "furrier" than the other. haha If there is a right way, please let us know.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

if you are using the piece whole, it really doesn't matter which is the right side. if you are cutting it up, though, you'd want to mark each piece as to which side you are using as the right side.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

some flannels are double sided & both sides are pretty much the same & it really doesn't matter- or there is single sided flannel and you can really tell the difference- one side is soft/the other side is not- if you have a double sided flannel you can use which ever side you want.
if you feel you must know though- look at the salvage- the side that has manufacturer information on it will be the (right side) personally i have always felt that i pay for both sides of my fabric & use which ever side suits my need...i don't believe there is a (right & wrong) i've used many regular cotton prints back side when the more muted side fit in better than the brighter side....once the project is done no one knows that the other side is the side some would believe is the (right) side- all they see is the (correct) piece i used
Old 09-14-2012, 04:34 PM

I use whichever side I like the best. However I think maufacturers fold the fabric with what they consider the right side folded to the inside as it comes off the bolt.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
I use whichever side I like the best. However I think maufacturers fold the fabric with what they consider the right side folded to the inside as it comes off the bolt.
I've always felt that the WRONG sides were folded together, with the right side out so you could see what you were buying without taking a bunch of fabric off the bolt. Have I been wrong all these years? Just asking...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks ladies for your input. I still can't tell the difference after looking at it again. It will be almost a whole piece on the back of a baby quilt, so don't think it will make a difference which side I use. Both sides look the same to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I've always felt that the WRONG sides were folded together, with the right side out so you could see what you were buying without taking a bunch of fabric off the bolt. Have I been wrong all these years? Just asking...
It seems like fabric is usually folded on the bolt so the 'right' side is showing - but once in a while I do see fabric on the bolt where the 'wrong' side is showing.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM

I would say that if you can't tell which side is which...nobody else will be able to tell either.