Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel >

Flannel

Flannel

Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 PM

Default Flannel

My Christmas plans include making a flannel quilt. Since it will be a gift I would like to use a nice quality of flannel that will hold up through washing and use. I have looked at several brands and so far the RJR, Moda, and Wilmington look nice. I have checked the chain stores and what they have is thinner and would make great throws but not sure about how well it would stand up as a bed quilt.

What is your favorite brand of flannel for quilts? Thank you
Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

I just buy what feels nice in the hand, and not cheap, some cheap ones have poly/cotton blends. keep away from them, they ball up, with those fuzzy things. Prewash so you take up some shrinkage of the fab too. And KEEP reds away from anything, use a color catcher.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Maywood is terrific.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM

I am just finishing up a flannel kit from connecting threads, I have purchased several of them throughout the years, they seem to wash well and are not cheap and flimsy, all tho their prices are great/
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
My Christmas plans include making a flannel quilt. Since it will be a gift I would like to use a nice quality of flannel that will hold up through washing and use. I have looked at several brands and so far the RJR, Moda, and Wilmington look nice. I have checked the chain stores and what they have is thinner and would make great throws but not sure about how well it would stand up as a bed quilt.

What is your favorite brand of flannel for quilts? Thank you
I've bought some from Connecting threads that I was quite pleased with. Don't care much for the most recent designs however.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Connecting Threads is good. I rarely buy by brand, but I've had good luck with Moda and Maywood. I also like AE Nathan, especially their wide backing fabric. I tend to buy only on sale, so I've used a lot of no-names, too. Bottom line, you probably want to shop around, comparing them for yourself--you may find your own favorite that way.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 PM

I have been very fortunate with buying flannel from Fabric.com and Thousand Bolts because I buy what I think looks cute or goes with the quilt. (My favorite backing is flannel.) But for the most part I buy it from the local stores and do it by feeling it. Only one was a true failure - luckily I always pre-wash, it looked horrible when it came out of the dryer. (I should have taken it back, I had 5 yards and it had been bought it locally but never got around to it.)
Old 08-30-2014, 01:19 AM
Power Poster

I Love the Benartex double sided flannels and Moda 'woolies' flannel. Both are thick, good quality flannels, hold up well to use/laundering without 'pilling' . I have purchased a lot of flannel from fabric.com always read the description for medium or heavy weight flannels and/or double sided, when you are not able to feel it
Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 AM

Maywood is my favorite too.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I love Moda but I still use starch to make sure the flannel doesn't shift. I don't sew with flannel very often.