Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel >

Flannel

Flannel

Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

A lot of people do not use batting, I like putting at least a thin batting in mine.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ccb2200
I made a flannel quilt and I used flannel for the top and back and then I put a piece of flannel in the middle and quilted it. I then used flannel for the binding. It turned out really nice.
This sounds really nice if you want to use flannel for top and backing. Bet it made a nice cuddly quilt. I have used flannel for backing with batting and regular cotton top. Those turn out nice too. Also have made a couple of baby blankets for gifts using just flannel and Minkee. There is a tutorial on You Can Make This website. Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hi!
I also am new. Just made a rag quilt for DGD and it turned out cute. I first cut out all my blocks. I made them 6 inches square.
I cut the batting 5 inch square. Then I sewed all three pieces together; front, batting and back with a 1" seam allowance. Then I sewed an "X" in the middle of the blocks to quilt them. I then sewed the rows, then sewed the rows together and clipped with rag quilt shears. Attached (hopefully) is a picture. I have never sewn anything in my life and am quite proude of this. I got on You Tube and saw a wonderful video form Minnesota Quilts on how to mak a tube pillowcase. So I made that to match the quilt.
Awesome!!! I want to make bigger squares on my next rag quilt because I don't have the patience for all that cutting:)
I have just purchased an AccuQuilt and a rag die...hope it works well!!! I have only made a rag quilt and a T-shirt quilt and could never have done either without this board!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:38 PM

This sounds really nice if you want to use flannel for top and backing. Bet it made a nice cuddly quilt. I have used flannel for backing with batting and regular cotton top. Those turn out nice too. Also have made a couple of baby blankets for gifts using just flannel and Minkee. There is a tutorial on You Can Make This website. Hope this helps.

Great website! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Hi!
I also am new. Just made a rag quilt for DGD and it turned out cute. I first cut out all my blocks. I made them 6 inches square.
I cut the batting 5 inch square. Then I sewed all three pieces together; front, batting and back with a 1" seam allowance. Then I sewed an "X" in the middle of the blocks to quilt them. I then sewed the rows, then sewed the rows together and clipped with rag quilt shears. Attached (hopefully) is a picture. I have never sewn anything in my life and am quite proude of this. I got on You Tube and saw a wonderful video form Minnesota Quilts on how to mak a tube pillowcase. So I made that to match the quilt.
This is really cute!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Oops, sorry gave wrong answer. Thought you were making a rag quilt currently.
It may have been an oops but I sure love your quilt! Thanks for the info :D
And Barb, don't worry about questions! That's what people are here for!! :thumbup:
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 PM

My first quilt was flannel. I used flannel on the back also, and used warm and natural batting. I like the feel of it and since we live in the north west the warmth is really nice! I would base the decision of batting or extra layer of flannel on who you are making it for and do they get cold easily. The binding can also be done out of flannel. My husband laughed at me, I put it on the back of the sofa and petted it every single time I walked past it.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Power Poster

yes, you can use flannel for the top and the back if that's what you want...and the batting is your option too,,, people who live in the north usually use batting because they want heavy/warm quilts, people in the south/warmer states skip the batting or use a really thin batting for lighter-weight quilts. it is fine to skip the batting. you can use an extra layer of flannel or even muslin if you feel you need the middle layer but it is not a manditory step. :thumbup:
flannel quilts wash up so nice-soft and fluffy!make it how ever you want
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 AM

Thanks for all the help! I knew I could count on you guys!

Barb(-_-)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by CutNup
Originally Posted by amma
You wouldn't have to use a batting, if you think the 2 layers will be warm enough. Some will just use a piece of flannel for the batting too, if they think that traditional batting may make it to warm :D:D:D
How would I bind it?
Bind it with cotton fabric as flannel stretches too much. Bind it as you would any other quilt, by machine or hand stitched to the quilt