Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: fleece as backing query

I have had some advice from you but I just cannot have any success using fleece for the backing on a quilt when I machine it, it just stretches so much and goes out of shape.. I am sorry i cannot get the photos to load on to my laptop so cannot send one.. I normally hand sew everything but want to tackle and succed with the machine sometimes. Thank you in advance... I have tried spraying it with 505 and without. My tension is okay. I have used both a walking foot and a plain one.

Blog Entries
    I used fleece once....I agree....stretches and it was horrible to sew. I now use flannel.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I used fleece once....I agree....stretches and it was horrible to sew. I now use flannel.
    Thats a good idea,, I need the extra warmth as it is for my disabled daughter to cuddle up in.

Fleece is usually more expensive and is a poly mix and harder to work with. I don't use it in quilting, though some people do. I tend to KISS(keep it simple stupid) and work with all cottons.

I've sewn on both fleece and flannel before and would have to agree that flannel would be easier to work with. And flannel is usually pretty warm.

I used white minky on my grandson's 1st quilt and it did great. He loves the soft cuddle. Used up the scraps on baby toy gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by qnana
    I used white minky on my grandson's 1st quilt and it did great. He loves the soft cuddle. Used up the scraps on baby toy gifts.
    What is minky? Is it some sort of fleece or a combo of fleece and flannel?

Fleece is terrible to machine sew and don't ever, EVER try to free-motion sew it :evil: The best way with fleece is either to hand tie, or machine tie by sewing a small group of stitches haphazardly. My machine will do a small motif and lock the stitch at the start n end, can you do something like that?

I have fleece pinned to a top right now and I didn't do anything with it as it just didn't lay right. Just as you said it seemd to be stretching before I even got to the sewing. I think I'll take it off and start over for the backing. I'm glad to posted this as you have saved me from trying it.

quote=loopywren]I have had some advice from you but I just cannot have any success using fleece for the backing on a quilt when I machine it, it just stretches so much and goes out of shape.. I am sorry i cannot get the photos to load on to my laptop so cannot send one.. I normally hand sew everything but want to tackle and succed with the machine sometimes. Thank you in advance... I have tried spraying it with 505 and without. My tension is okay. I have used both a walking foot and a plain one.[/quote]

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    I have had some advice from you but I just cannot have any success using fleece for the backing on a quilt when I machine it, it just stretches so much and goes out of shape.. I am sorry i cannot get the photos to load on to my laptop so cannot send one.. I normally hand sew everything but want to tackle and succed with the machine sometimes. Thank you in advance... I have tried spraying it with 505 and without. My tension is okay. I have used both a walking foot and a plain one.
    I think the only time you can successfully use fleece on the back of cotton is if you tie it with yarn or floss. If you really wanted to quilt it, then flannel would be the better choice. You could add an extra layer of flannel for warmth if you thought you needed it.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast