Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece binding >

Fleece binding

Fleece binding

Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM

Default Fleece binding

I am working on a child's quilt and using fleece as a backing and was wondering if anyone had used fleece as a binding? Any tips? Has anyone used fleece in the flange binding technique? http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html
Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I just finished a baby quilt making the binding from flannel and boy, it was difficult. With the additional thickness of that fabric. I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I would not do fleece binding. Fleece is stretchy and squirrelly.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Agree with the above, and a flange fleece binding would be especially difficult with that thick seam to sew next to. The only way I'd do a fleece binding is by folding the backing to the front but it'll still be a bit of a chore.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:35 PM

I've not used fleece, but have used flannel and I have to agree that it was difficult due to the increased thickness :-( Would only use it if you plan on hand sewing down your binding.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I'll do a plan "B"
Old 08-11-2016, 01:43 PM

My first thought was no, probably not, due to the problems that Mariposa mentioned. But then, got to thinking that it might work if you only used a single thickness, not double fold binding. Since it doesn't fray you could just fold it over the edge of the quilt and sew the front and back at the same time. You would have to anchor it well, either lots of pins of maybe glue it in place. It will want to slide around. This will give a non-traditional look to the quilt but it might work, if that doesn't bother you. You could even use a decorative stitch on it. You could experiment with a small quilt sandwich and some extra fleece.

Edited to add that I have used flannel binding several times and luckily did not have any problems with the thickness. I often use flannel backing and just automatically used it for the binding, too. I do double fold binding and machine sew it to the front and then hand sew to the back. The last quilt I just finished is a child's donation quilt that is flannel pieced front and solid flannel backing, 100% cotton batting. That is one cozy little quilt!

Last edited by suern3; 08-11-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
My first thought was no, probably not, due to the problems that Mariposa mentioned. But then, got to thinking that it might work if you only used a single thickness, not double fold binding. Since it doesn't fray you could just fold it over the edge of the quilt and sew the front and back at the same time. You would have to anchor it well, either lots of pins of maybe glue it in place. It will want to slide around. This will give a non-traditional look to the quilt but it might work, if that doesn't bother you. You could even use a decorative stitch on it. You could experiment with a small quilt sandwich and some extra fleece.
I know it isn't exactly what you were talking about but as I was reading your response (which I loved) I was thinking what about a "binding / fringe" idea w/ the fleece???? Oh wheels fell off the track!!!! lol lol lol (who am I kidding my wheels have never seen the track)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Kassaundra- you are funny!!! But then- fringe, I think, a kid might love it! Hey maybe we've started something. I'm still looking for the track
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I am working on a child's quilt and using fleece as a backing and was wondering if anyone had used fleece as a binding? Any tips? Has anyone used fleece in the flange binding technique? http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html
Thanks Kassaundra for the excellent tutorial