Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flimsy? >

Flimsy?

Flimsy?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
AlvaStitcher ... You're welcome and glad you feel it will help you. I was so lost at times when I first came to the QB and trying to work my way thru the alphabet soup maze. That's why I put it together in the first place and even now, I still have to go back and check some of those "daffy-nitions" at times.
FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip
Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM

It is my understanding that a "flimsy" was a quilt that had a top and a backing but no batting. More used like a summer quilt. Some are "quilted." Or a design is sewn on it for lack of a better word to use than quilted.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Sorry AlvaStitcher, I thought I had replied to JCrow.

So JCrow FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip

Iraxy, that is exactly what I thought it meant also.

Last edited by SB13; 03-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 PM

I understand QuiltE's definition of a flimsie and can agree with it in the literal sense, but I have to confess that my first thought was of the thin, crinkly, "onion-skin" paper used with carbon paper when we had multiple copies of documents typed (oh, the hours spent erasing errors on each one!). In the law firm in which I worked back then, the copies were called flimsies. Typed, you say ... erased, you ask .... ohhhhh, you must mean keyboarding and hitting the delete key, of course! :-)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 PM

I am glad someone asked the question, I had no idea either. I think it is really neat that the QB is global and we learn different terms for things. Well gotta go dial my phone and grab something from the ice box.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I am glad someone asked the question, I had no idea either. I think it is really neat that the QB is global and we learn different terms for things. Well gotta go dial my phone and grab something from the ice box.
It's ringing, so I'll get my mobile, have my husband repair the sewing machine with a spanner and I hate standing in queues, my sons had to put on their trousers (you don't talk about pants in public) and I like jumpers (meaning, a thick heavy item of clothing that Americans call sweaters)! Our team are having a good year, and we all have got plenty of fabric in our sewing rooms.

Sometimes it does feel like we have a different language.

"Flimsy" to me makes sense. I know for us Americans, the word "flimsy" seems funny, even derogatory. But I think it rhymes with whimsy and it makes me think that a quilt top is light-hearted and cheery--so I don't mind "flimsy". But wadding to me--it makes me think of the batting that is all wadded/matted up in a corner as it all came apart in the wash. So apparently wadding has a bit different meaning in the UK. So when I read "flimsy", it makes me smile, but when I read "wadding" it makes me cringe, and I try to get over my inflexible feelings about it and educate myself and tell myself that it's okay--it's not derogatory--it's just different.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:19 PM

I think the term flimsy is used by countries other than the USA. Another example: Batting is called wadding by some other countries. No matter the term, just enjoy!!