Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Float or not to float?

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I'm new at using a longarm and want to know how you all load your quilts onto your frame? Which is the best way to go please? I need all the help I can get all you longarmers over there in the US please.

Blog Entries
    I float the batting and the top.

Blog Entries
    Do you compleetly float the top? Meaning do you stitch it down along the top and sides or do you just lay it on?
    Sorry for being so dense, just new to this craft.
    Jenny

Blog Entries
    I stitch the top, and then I stitch the sides as I go(with each roll). It is really just a matter of preference. I tried several different methods before I decided what worked best for me. If you google Youtube-Loading a quilt there are several different videos available.

I don't have leadergrips, but this guy is kind of fun to watch and gives some really good information.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheManqu.../7/oMcbeVBZ-9g

Banned
    I do a full float on most quilts. It gives me more control to keep the quilt square, plus it is a time saver for me. I have to take care to line up the edges as I roll, but for me a full float works best. I also baste the edges of the top after I roll to the next section.

I float top and batting. I stitch across top and down the
    sides as I roll.

Blog Entries
    I float the top and the batting. I roll the backing onto the belly bar. I stitch the top edge before I start but I don't do the sides at all because I like to smooth my top and fabrics out to the side as I'm working. I found if I smooth things toward the bottom it will distort the bottom edges of the quilt top too much. If I did pantos or used quilting boards, I would probably stitch the side down but I pretty much only do FM. I'm fairly new at this too so I may change my ways as I go along. So far the way I'm doing things has worked for me. I guess everyone finds what works best for them. Good Luck!

i float.

i stitch the across the top and then i only stitch down the left side as i go then i do a tack stitch or two on the right.

Blog Entries
    i float the batting and the top. i just have to remember not to pull too hard on the batting when straightening/smoothing as it can stretch out of shape.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I stitch the top, and then I stitch the sides as I go(with each roll). It is really just a matter of preference. I tried several different methods before I decided what worked best for me. If you google Youtube-Loading a quilt there are several different videos available.

I don't have leadergrips, but this guy is kind of fun to watch and gives some really good information.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheManqu.../7/oMcbeVBZ-9g
    I've never tried floating a top, but after watching this guy I'm trying it on the next quilt. He was very informative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast