Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
floral vine applique resources? bias bar? >

floral vine applique resources? bias bar?

floral vine applique resources? bias bar?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 AM

Default floral vine applique resources? bias bar?

I am looking for some inspiration on a floral vine applique pattern. I am considering incorporating it into the body of the quilt, but a border pattern would be suitable. Does anyone have a book, website, pattern to recommend?

Also, if anyone has used the bias bars, I'd love to hear your opinions on them. I am looking to do some handwork, not fusible, and these look interesting to me.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 AM

I do alot of applique, and love using the bias bars. the vines are so much easier to make, its fast , and you get nice smooth edges. For a 12 in. block or larger, I use the 1/4 in. bar. for smaller blocks I use the 1/8 in. bar.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 AM

I've used them. Took a class on a Celtic Heart wallhanging - it was all bias. The strips came out a little larger than 1/4"

We cut 1"?(can't remember) bias strips, folded them, and sewed with a 1/4" seam. Then trimmed the seam and ironed the bias flat from the top with the trimmed seam underneath. We used the bias bars to press seam underneath as it doesn't show. Then you use a glue stick to hold bias strips on pattern, and can stitch with decorative, straight or zigzag to keep them down.

I liked the method so well I used it on a stained glass wallhanging rather than the bias tape they sell. A little larger, maybe, but it worked just as well.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

My favourite way to do long bias stems is to make my fabric twice as wide as needed plus 1/2 inch. I fold the bias strip in half, right sides out. I then place the strip beside the pencil line where I want it to go. I sew the 1/4 inch seams right on the pencil line. I then flip or fold the bias strip over the stitching line and seam allowance and stitch down the fold. You can do this all by machine or hand.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Bias bars are wonderful..... just be careful when pressing as the bars I have are metal and get hot. I have a set of 5 bars in graduating sizes and have used them for many applique projects. I would suggest that you go to your LQS and ask someone there the show you how they are used. Seeing is so much better than hearing.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Bias bars are wonderful..... just be careful when pressing as the bars I have are metal and get hot. I have a set of 5 bars in graduating sizes and have used them for many applique projects. I would suggest that you go to your LQS and ask someone there the show you how they are used. Seeing is so much better than hearing.
I saw these heat resistant ones and wondered how they would be.

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Bias-P.../dp/B000YZ5U10
Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My favourite way to do long bias stems is to make my fabric twice as wide as needed plus 1/2 inch. I fold the bias strip in half, right sides out. I then place the strip beside the pencil line where I want it to go. I sew the 1/4 inch seams right on the pencil line. I then flip or fold the bias strip over the stitching line and seam allowance and stitch down the fold. You can do this all by machine or hand.
I like this idea! I will have to try a sample.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Have you ever tried it with a smaller seam like 1/8" for a thinner stem? This sounds like a great method. I've only done them by hand without the bias bar and pressed before attaching. This would be easier for sure!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I saw these heat resistant ones and wondered how they would be.

http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Bias-P.../dp/B000YZ5U10
I have these and they work great! I also have a metal one & it does get HOT! Of course pressing with steam I still manage to burn myself using the yellow ones :-)
Old 09-15-2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I have these and they work great! I also have a metal one & it does get HOT! Of course pressing with steam I still manage to burn myself using the yellow ones :-)
thanks! I think I will order some.