Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Floriani Total Control Software >

Floriani Total Control Software

Floriani Total Control Software

Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Default Floriani Total Control Software

Well today I went to the little Floriani presentation at a local shop. I was good and did not buy anything (and I knew it was a sales presentation before I went, so no surprises). However I was EXTREMELY tempted by their software.

My DH has dreams of me (or even him) being able to push a button (maybe two) and ta-da! I can embroidery any image he likes on anything he desires. Well we all know that requires digitizing and generally more than a single button. I have been considering Embrid due to the huge following and the price. But now I am being swayed... I was wondering if anyone out there has both. I was wondering which you would choose if you were to choose again. For reference, the Total Control Floriani software was about 4 times the cost of Embrid (and 100 spools of Floriani thread were included). I need to know how "hard" Embrid was to learn how to digitize on vs the Total Control software. The presentation of course made it look very simple on the Floriani software, but I could also see that the presentation was a very true rendering of how I would utilize it at home. Sadly I am ok with the price difference, IF, it helps ease the learning curve. I want to have time to actually stitch out my designs instead of spending hours learning how to digitize a simple balloon.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM

I don't know personally about either one, but I happened to talk to a member of my small quilt group who said that she recently treated herself to the Floriani software after going to the presentation at our local LQS and she is very happy with it. She is finishing a very special quilt for her daughter's wedding using it and the pieces I saw were beautiful.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 AM

Hey ZugZug I was there at the presentation also. Though I don't have Embird I do have another type of software. IMHO you get what you pay for in this instance. After the presentation we had a 'class' that went more into the software. I know what she did was allot easier than my other software. Plus free updates! Gotta love that!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 AM

What you need to do is find out when they are offering class in your are because it'll be so much cheaper and the classes are cheap. I just went to one even though I have and love my Viking 5D Pro and it only cost 30 for the class and I got 599. in free things. I learned so much and love thier thread and other goodies. I did like what I saw on the software. Some great features is that you don't need a dongle like with Viking and you don't pay for upgrades when a newer version comes out. Those are great features plus a lot of the digitizing features. I'm still paying for 5D Pro and since I've just started taking software classes I can't say that Floriani does anything that mine won't but the cheaper price along with the other things I mentioned if I'd known about it first I might have considered that. I'm just starting digitizing and some things I can figure out on my own I like having the free classes teaching me how to use the software to the fullest advantage that I can. I did get Floriani's one software that is only a viewer to put all your designs in and they all show up so you don't need to know what folder you put them in. I stil have all of mine in folders with the companies name attached that I got it from so that in case I need to re-download them I know where I got them from. Thier designs are expensive but they stitch out really nice. When I take them into 5D Pro and check the density there are never any unneeded threads. I got a lot free at the show and then did buy a couple because by doing that I got 5 more CDs free and I really liked the free designs and they aren't for sale. Check to see if the local shop gives lessons to help you learn the program. I'm not sure what thier documentation is like but software seems really good. You can load it onto two pc's at a time but to do the second you email them and they'll send something back to allow this. This is another good thing. I don't use Embrid but am impressed by Floriani.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 AM

I don't have either program but have spent months viewing all the options out there. What I did was go to each site and see if they had a free download trial version. The version has to be able to do what the full bought version would do. Embird, Amazing Design have that feature with the trial version. Amazing Design program digitizing was simplier but limited, Embird is more indepth program which by watching Youtube videos I was able to figure out alot of things. I see that Floriani has a download free trial version also, but is limited to what you can do...It won't let you save things....I think I will still download their trial version and try it....best of luck....
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM

Yes the free updates for life and the "no dongle" parts are big selling aspects for me...And I agree, you get what you pay for. That is one reason why the price difference doesnt bother me as long as I am getting what I expect. I expect them to be at the quilt show in Nov, and if they arent offering a deal similiar to the one offered Saturday, then I can always attend their presentation in Lake Charles (its not that far from our other home) and take advantage of the offer then.

Thanks for the input and advice everyone.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Hi,
I just bought the floriani software. There is a set of designs that can be used as a Christmas ornament. What stabilitize do you use?

Thanks,
Kathy
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM

Are you using it on material the sticky one. If it's FSL then the wash away one. If it has a high thread count the cut away. It's what your putting it on and the thread count or what it's for that tells you what kind of stabilizer to use. In the software has a tutes of what to use for what you want
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Go to Floriani's website. They have a whole workbook you can download on stabilizers.