Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flower pounding on to  fabric >

Flower pounding on to fabric

Flower pounding on to fabric

Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 AM

Default Flower pounding on to fabric

Has anyone done " flower pounding on to fabric"? It is a method of transfering the colors of flowers onto light colored cotton fabric. I just heard about this dyeing process and did get info from the net but wondering if others have any hints about doing this . Sound like a great project for both my quilting group and my gardening group.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

A few years back a member posted some beautiful photos of this method. I could not find it on a search

Here is one topic I found discussing it
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ing-t1349.html
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Several years ago a woman in my guild provided flower pounding for anyone who wanted to try it at a guild quilt show. I missed the show that year, but I heard afterward that the pounding was pretty loud. I do know you need to set the dye afterward, but not sure whether it's with heat or chemicals.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 AM

I did this years ago....it is a great project for kids as well...As far as hints - I used a small block of wood, not the direct hammer.....and outlined the flowers with fine tip permanent markers in similar colors....tho several girls used black, which looked really nice. Of course you cannot wash the project - so a wall hanging or framed. Hope you have fun !!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 AM

I have a book on flower pounding -- that is one of those projects that sounded like a lot of fun to do but I never found the time to pursue. I believe you need fabric that is prepared for dyeing (maybe washed to remove the sizing?) I had some special fabric for the project but I'm sure it has found its way into my regular stash! I quess one thing that put me off was the fact that the project probably can't be washed and I don't make a lot of wall hangings.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM

It produces an absolutely lovely, very arty project. Even blades of grass look beautiful, especially when enhanced with the very fine tip pigma pens or some such. Because they are not intended for washing, I simply set the colors with heat. If you think they might be washed, I'd give them a vinegar bath, but you might find some of the colors/natural dyes tend to bleed.

As to the loudness, it's deafening and was hard on my arthritic wrists. I had to go out to my friend's farm far away from disturbing any neighbors and wear ear plugs for my own comfort.

Notwithstanding, it's quite worth it and don't forget to get the kids involved in this. Little boys especially just love making noise and banging on things. Just get away from your neighbors.

Have fun!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM

What they said. Very pretty, incredibly loud and hard on hands and wrist.
As a project in order to say done that, it's ok.
As a technique to use over and over...not in this lifetime...
Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 AM

Just for fun I googled "flower pounding on fabric" and clicked "images" Wow! Beautiful!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM

For much quieter techniques that work for both quilters and gardeners, look into both Nature Printing and Natural Dyeing.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Really have to pound hard. Took me forever to do just a small rose petal. Not worth it to me.