Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Flower straight pins

I have some with a D printed on them. I bought them at Tuesday Mornings awhile back.

I like those pins just because the are longer than other pins and the colors show up better on all fabrics.

That's mainly what I use now because you can use less pins and if you drop them you can see them to pick them up.. If I use the small applique pins I usually use a magnent after so I don't miss any. My DH is always the one to step on them somehow.

Being new to quilting, I am using the numbering system for the first time - using those round price post its you get at any store. Pinned them to the blocks and color coordinated my rows. I am quilting as I go - and sticking my fingers with these pins constantly!!!! Think the pins are not the answer. The masking tape or painters tape might be better for me - less blood - thanks for all the info ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Knitnoid View Post
    Fons & Porter have something like you describe, but I'm too cheap. I wrote on mine w/a sharpie. I have a whole pin cushion with nothing but flower pins with numbers on them.
    Good idea. I usually write my info on scraps of paper and pin it to the quilt. I'm gonna get my sharpie and fix up some flower pins. I found some on sale a while back.

I wrote numbers on mine too. But be care, don't do the other thing I did - They melt if your hot iron touches them! I learned the hard way. Some just curled up, but some actually stuck to my fabric! I was able to pull them off the fabric, but I was in panic mode for a few minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Knitnoid View Post
    Fons & Porter have something like you describe, but I'm too cheap. I wrote on mine w/a sharpie. I have a whole pin cushion with nothing but flower pins with numbers on them.
    This is what do as well. There are fine point sharpies out there. Works well.

Oh and you can also sew through the flower heads. Ask me how I know!

Blog Entries
    I use those cheap white paper plates. I have them #'d for each row. Then I just stack each row on it's paper plate in the order I will stitch them. As I do each row, I put it back on its designated paper plate. Works very well for me, no pin pricks, no post-its falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    You know those cute pins with the flower flat heads? Do they come with numbers or letters on them? I'm thinking they would be great to mark the order of blocks in a row, instead of using post its.
    I'm so glad you asked this. A yr. or so ago somebody on here talked about little plastic charms with numbers & with letters on them. I found the numbers ones were perf. for marking the rows of a Bargello by putting them on safety pins & pinning to ea. row.
    The ones with numbers are very hard to find but the letters are common & found in the craft section of Wal Marts. Maybe these would work for you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast