Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
flowered scrap quilt question >

flowered scrap quilt question

flowered scrap quilt question

Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM

I am making a strip scrap quilt with flowered pattern scraps. Altho' flowers are beautiful, for some reason or other this is coming out rather dull and boring. Any ideas to brighten it up? Maybe I should just add some bright batik??
Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Maybe applique some flowers aNnd vines? I love mixing scrap and applique.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Try tossing in some solids (especially white or black) to give the eye a rest. Sometimes that helps colors pop.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 AM
MTS
Banned

Is it totally scrappy? Or is there some rhyme or reason to the placement?

What about if you placed the strips/scraps from light to dark?

This is just my opinion - but I find that if a totally scrappy quilt has no theme - whether it's color or shape or value or texture - iow, just a bunch of scraps sewn together, my eye is roving all over the top looking for some sort of pattern. Something to focus on.

Otherwise, it looks almost like one big piece of multi-colored fabric. And that's fine, if that's what you want. But it doesn't sound like it is. ;-)

So maybe if each block went light to dark, or the whole quilt top did (3 bunches each of light, med and dark blocks), the eye can focus on that.

Or if it had one unifying fabric - perhaps half the block was a coordinating fabric, then the blocks can be arranged in some sort of pattern (actually, any log cabin layout).

The blocks don't have to be perfectly split, just giving you the option of multiple layouts.

I actually came across a scrappy quilt the other day - queen size. And I could appreciate all the sewing and cutting that went into it, but, like I said above, it looked like one big piece of fabric. I had nowhere to look for something - anything- to be going on design-wise.

Make any sense?
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
Maybe applique some flowers aNnd vines? I love mixing scrap and applique.
good idea...had not thought of that...thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Try tossing in some solids (especially white or black) to give the eye a rest. Sometimes that helps colors pop.
thanks for your idea...I think I will border the squares in black....as you said, I think that will make it pop..
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Is it totally scrappy? Or is there some rhyme or reason to the placement?

What about if you placed the strips/scraps from light to dark?

This is just my opinion - but I find that if a totally scrappy quilt has no theme - whether it's color or shape or value or texture - iow, just a bunch of scraps sewn together, my eye is roving all over the top looking for some sort of pattern. Something to focus on.

Otherwise, it looks almost like one big piece of multi-colored fabric. And that's fine, if that's what you want. But it doesn't sound like it is. ;-)

So maybe if each block went light to dark, or the whole quilt top did (3 bunches each of light, med and dark blocks), the eye can focus on that.

Or if it had one unifying fabric - perhaps half the block was a coordinating fabric, then the blocks can be arranged in some sort of pattern (actually, any log cabin layout).

The blocks don't have to be perfectly split, just giving you the option of multiple layouts.

I actually came across a scrappy quilt the other day - queen size. And I could appreciate all the sewing and cutting that went into it, but, like I said above, it looked like one big piece of fabric. I had nowhere to look for something - anything- to be going on design-wise.

Make any sense?
yup, makes a lot of sense....I have already started several blocks but I think I will put those aside or maybe cut them up for a border. I will start again (plenty of flowered fabric) and do the one strip light and one strip dark and mix in mediums....that should do it. I was looking at the blocks I had made and that is exactly what it looked like...one piece of multi-colored fabric, no where for the eye to focus...gosh, you helped me a lot...thanks so much
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 AM

White makes things pop.

Block for the flower quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211771[/ATTACH]

The quilt inbetween the pink ones. Sorry it is not closer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211772[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211765.jpe   attachment-211766.jpe  
Old 06-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BabyCakes
White makes things pop.
wow..that white really does make it pop...thanks so much for sharing...is that hand quilting? wow again !! beautiful
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM

No it was machine quilted