Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flyer frustration >

Flyer frustration

Flyer frustration

Old 01-15-2011, 07:44 AM

I went to Jo-Ann's armed with my sale flyer last night. After getting fabric cut noticed the coupons this time are all dated for specific dates but not one was dated for this weekend even though the flyer was current! Luckily I had my Hancock flyer in the car and used it to get 40% off one piece of fabric but put back 2 items due to no coupons.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 AM

the fliers they have recently are very confusing...different dates on different pages.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 AM

That's annoying. Are these a direct mail flyer or a newspaper ad? I didn't get my direct mail ad this week :(
Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 AM

I have done this countless times. It seems like I'm either a day early or a day late for the sales I want to take advantage of. It's frustrating.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Yep ! ugh
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM

I've complained about that, too. Now I just watch for sales on battings and go in only on those days. One of the employees noticed I hadn't been in for a long while.....I told her why. She agreed -- said it's very confusing for the staff, too!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Most JoAnns will also accept Hobby Lobby and Michael's coupons, although Michaels cannot be used for fabric because they dont sell any.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 AM

I agree with everyone about the frustration with using their coupons. I hate when they have great coupons, but you can't use them because everything is already on sale only for not as much as the coupons! Ours used to let you use the coupon for the lower price, but not anymore. The last time I needed quilter's flannel I waited until it WASN'T on sale so I could use my coupon & get a better price!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Did you know that Joann's has an app for iphones? The app has coupons that stay on your iphone and when you check out at the register, just hand over your phone with the coupon on the screen. The check out person enters the coupon number from the phone. Each coupon has an exp date. I have had my iphone since October and there are always coupons to replace the expired ones. Right now there is a coupon for 40% off any one regular priced item. Exp 1/29/11. Also, a coupon for 50% off selected classes. I have used these coupons at Joann's.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

The coupon on the back cover of your direct-mail flyer is good for the whole sale promotional period... Then if they are having a special sale (like a Moonlight Madness / Firefly Frenzy / Daffodil Dash) ~ those coupons will have the sale dates printed on the coupon (valid Jan 23-29, 2011) etc.

The one sale name that will let you use lots of coupons is "Coupon Commotion Week" ~ but they are labelled "one regular item" or "one notions item" or "one craft item".

Have you also heard of "if they are from different sources"? Haa haa, you CAN use a 40% from the NPI (newspaper insert) and a 40% from your DM (direct mailer) and a 40% from your email signup all on one transaction.

Now to dispell some of the confusion:
If you use your 40% coupon on an item, and there is a special "10% off entire purchase" coupon, that 10% will not come off the item that used the 40% coupon (that's a double coupon). The 40% are limited and not good on certain items, like Cricut machines, sewing machines, Rowenta irons, patterns, etc. Those items are price controlled by the vendors.

If an item is on sale, it won't let you use a coupon. Yes, we used to be able to override it (if on sale for 30%, but you had a 50% coupon, we could override) ~ but they took that capability away about 4 years ago.

I was a merchandising mgr ~ I got good at explaining it to lots of patrons. If they were still upset, I could do a managers over-ride and allow an additional non-sale item "managers coupon"... just not on certain items (like Cricut)