Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flying geese math

Is there a way to figure the size square you need for the rectangle you are using? say the rectangle is 2x5. I know one side of smaller piece would be 2, what about the other side. Sorry, know this is kinda stupid question, but I am very math challenged. I want to place a row of flying geese along side a block and I can figure the size of rectangles I need to make it as long as the block but the other part is eluding me, especially when rectangle is not in exact inches.

i am totally dependent on my flying geese ruler, so when a mathy person responds I'll bookmark that answer!!

I'm going to write it in BIG letters and post on my bulletin board. Maybe I need to buy one of those rulers.

Blog Entries
    sorry I don't know either. I use HSTs instead. 2 half square triangles works and is easier to do as far as I am concerned.

Try this method. She tells you how to get the size you want with no wasting fabric. I will keep looking the original way ..putting a square on two corners, sewing the diagonal and trimming to see if I can find one that shows how to calculate size too...

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

also, if you read what she wrote at the top of that tutorial, she says:'just remember that the width of the finished unit is twice the height'

And I found a site that makes them the traditional way. Altho I do 'square in the top two corners, sew on the diagonal, trim 1/4 inch and press' method too.

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/H...locks/FG1.html

and ONE more link! I think I'm done now...lolol

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html

This link has all THREE methods in one place...and you can make the size you want.

Your rectangle needs to be half as wide as it is long. So you need a rectangle either 2x4 or 2.5x5. Your squares would be the same size as the width of the rectangle - 2x2 or 2.5x2.5.

Thank you all so much. I want to use the continuous flying geese method I just saw video tutorial for that someone posted tonight. Seemed like it would be easy but wanted to make them the size I wanted.

Blog Entries
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tars__D12.html

You have to cut each cross piece 1/4" bigger than to the center. Most of the time the size is based on a starting square. It makes the marking on the diagonal easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast