Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying with Quilting Supplies?? >

Flying with Quilting Supplies??

Flying with Quilting Supplies??

Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Can you make do with some less expensive items and just check them instead of taking them on carry on? If the scissors are too pointy they might also not be allowed. I don't think it is just the airlines that determine what is allowed on but also if not more so airport security.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:11 AM

Is there someone you could mail a box of supples to at your destination? The flat rate boxes from USPS are great!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:18 AM

It's my understanding that regardless of the TSA's "official" list of things that are allowed, it's up to the individual agent and if they happen to be having a bad day, you could lose some of your things and there's not a lot you can do about it. They have the final say.

I do think being polite, even if they're not, can go a long way too.

We fly out to San Francisco every year to see my daughter and her family and I want to take some handwork on the plane this year, so I've been looking into this. One of the things I read was to take finger nail clippers, instead of scissors (I'd be very unhappy if I lost my favorite Kai embroidery scissors.) I think I'm going to print out the list of things that are allowed and take it with me though, just because I don't think it can hurt.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 AM

I agree with Bree123 -- call your hotel and ask if you can have a package shipped there and held for your arrival. I have done this for my boss and have never had a problem. If you send it Federal Express, you can schedule it for 2- or 3-day delivery (which is much cheaper) and have it arrive one day before you do. It is amazing how much stuff you can fit in one of those flat rate envelopes or boxes.

For taking handwork on a plane, I have one of the Clover thread cutters. The best suggestion I've heard is to take a dental floss container that has a built in cutter, remove the floss and put a bobbin of thread in the container. My MIL wasn't allowed to take her nail clippers on a plane because the nail file attached to it could be used as a weapon. As someone said, no matter what the rules are, it all depends on the person who is enforcing them.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM

I'm surprised that they don't confiscated pens and pencil. You could do a lot of damage with those items. Lol.
Bite the bullet and put the things in a suitcase and have no carry on.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
My MIL wasn't allowed to take her nail clippers on a plane because the nail file attached to it could be used as a weapon.
Yes, I've also heard that they don't allow clippers with nail files on them. The ones I'm taking don't have a file.

I'm surprised, because I've also heard that they don't allow the round Clover thread cutter thingys, yet several people have said that they haven't had a problem with taking them on. I personally see them as less of a safety issue than even a small pair of scissors, but what do I know... :-/

I've been thinking about this all day, and I think I'm going to take some Sashiko with me because I don't need a hoop like I do for regular embroidery, some needles and needle threader, a ball of perle cotton, and the clippers, all in a neat and tidy, small but transparent container. Hopefully the TSA agent will be someone that does needlework and in a good mood that day!

Last edited by SherylM; 02-16-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. It's too late for me to send a box of my supplies (I leave tomorrow). I think I'm going to pack my rotary handle, leave the blade at home and buy one there, and then bring my cheap-o thread snips (if they get confiscated, I will live). I'll report back when I'm on the other end!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
I'm surprised, because I've also heard that they don't allow the round Clover thread cutter thingys, yet several people have said that they haven't had a problem with taking them on. I personally see them as less of a safety issue than even a small pair of scissors, but what do I know... :-/
The reason why is because razor blades are on the TSA banned items list & there is a round blade inside the thread cutter's case. It depends how it shows up on the X-ray, but the thread cutters with blades inside (like Clover) are on the banned items list I posted the link to.

Asabrinao,
I've had the best luck with getting items through the security checkpoint when I bag up any sharp items separately (safety razors, pins, needles, scissors, etc) in a clear plastic bag or a small cosmetics bag and put them in the bin with my quart-sized bag of 3oz liquids & my shoes. It makes it a lot easier for TSA agents to see and inspect.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:58 PM

As already mentioned it all depends on the agent when going through the securty check. We travelled in January and I had no problem going through with with a few needles and a medallion like cutter by Bohn.

Ironically, once inside the gate area after security, we did notice that the restaurant gave us real silverware - knives , forks and spoons to use to eat our lunch - and the server did not appear to be concerned about being sure that they were all still on the table when we left.