Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying with scissors? >

Flying with scissors?

Flying with scissors?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM

I'm flying next week and would like to take my hand piecing project with me and I'll need scissors. Have any of you flown with scissors recently? Does TSA give you any problems? I don't really want to bring kid scissors (with a rounded end) with me, but I will if I have to!

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

check with your airline. some let the round disk thing that has knotched areas that cut thread. some quilters simply carry dental floss containers. they work for cutting too.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Cyn

I fly a lot and have not had problems with my 3-5 inch scissors.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Last time I flew (about 5 -6 yrs ago) I had 2 pairs of scissors taken from me.
I then bought a very short pair with round tips and blue inserts in the holes, certified for flying. I know they have come down in price and I haven't flown since I bought them.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM

When I fly, I use the blunt-nosed ones by Fiskars found at Walmart in the school section. They are allowed by TSA on planes.
Here is the scoop:

Personal ItemsItem Type Carry-on Bags Checked Bags
Baby teethers with gel or liquid inside No Yes
Children's toys with gel inside No Yes
Cigar Cutters Yes Yes
Corkscrews Yes Yes
Cuticle Cutters Yes Yes
Eyeglass Repair Tools (including screwdrivers) Yes Yes
Eyelash Curlers Yes Yes
Gel candles No Yes
Gel shoe inserts No Yes
Knitting and Crochet Needles Yes Yes
Knives - prohibited as carry-on except for plastic or round bladed butter knives. No Yes
Nail Clippers Yes Yes
Nail Files Yes Yes
Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in limited quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants) Yes Yes
Safety Razors (including disposable razors) Yes Yes
Scissors - plastic or metal with blunt tips Yes Yes
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches in length Yes Yes
Toy Transformer Robots Yes Yes
Toy Weapons (if not realistic replicas) Yes Yes
Tweezers Yes Yes
Umbrellas (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) Yes Yes
Walking Canes (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) Yes Yes

Sharp Objects Item Type Carry-on Bags Checked Bags
Box Cutters No Yes
Ice Axes/Ice Picks No Yes
Knives - prohibited as carry-on except for plastic or round bladed butter knives. No Yes
Meat Cleavers No Yes
Razor-Type Blades, such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors No Yes
Sabers No Yes
Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades longer than four inches No Yes
Swords No Yes

Note: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors
As you can see, if the blade is longer than four inches, it is not allowed on carry-on luggage. Shrter than that and it is.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM

According to the TSA website, scissors that are metal with pointed tips and the blades are shorter than 4 inches they can be in your carry on or checked luggage. Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#4
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

The last few times I went through security with no problem :D:D:D

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches ARE allowed at this time, but you may want to go less than 4" blades for the trip, if you want to avoid being pulled over in security :D Two inch blades would be better :D:D:D

You can check back just before you flight for changes :wink:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 PM

Last month when we flew as long as the blade was less than 4 inches there was no problem. But would you believe you can only take 6 ounces of fudge on the plane. Folks were eating fudge so they could get below 6 ounces each. Also, peanut butter has to be put in your liquid bag because it "separates" and contains liquids. Go figure.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:42 AM

Hello,
I flew 2 weeks ago on American and Southwest and brought knitting needles and blunt end scissors with no objections by anybody. I did call the airlines before I left just to be sure. Have a safe trip.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 AM

This has to be domestic flights. Don't try to fly INTO the U.S. with ANYTHING pointy especially if you're holding a passport from another country.

I am not a shrinking violet type of person, but I get shaky when I have to face the security when trying to fly into the U.S.

Also calling the airlines is kind of a waste of time... the airlines has NO say in what goes on a flight. Security is for every airline and if you get a a cranky security guard, watch out. I lost on one trip, a metal comb for my hair (It could be untwisted and made into a weapon), nail clippers (mine had a little piece that could swing out and was pointy), and some prescription eyedrops that had the prescription label attached and was 30 mls (100 mls is the cut off for liquids).

OH yes he also told me to take apart everything in my camera bag... and was muttering about taking my extra batteries. Nikon batteries are not your normal AA or AAA batteries. My husband and I carry expensive Nikon equipment when we travel. By this time I had attracted the attention of his supervisor and I was allowed to put everything back in the bag.

It is really a curious phenomenon. All the flights that were downed on 9-11 were domestic flights, but a plump middle-aged white woman trying to travel from Canada to Florida is a threat to homeland security? All it has done is to make me re-think my mid-winter breaks in the U.S.