Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying with sissors

Question for anyone who has flown (internationally, on a commercial airplane, I mean) lately with their sewing supplies. The CATSA/FAA website says I'm allowed "sissors with blunt points" and "small needles in a sewing kit" in my carry-on luggage. I'd love to take a little project with me to pass the time on the flight.

Has anyone flown internationally with sissors and needles lately? Do you think my tiny embroidery sissors and a couple of needles (for stitching the binding onto some quilted coasters I'm making) will pass security?

Thanks!
    Jan

Blog Entries
    They sell blunt nosed scissors now at LQS and online that are supposee to be airline approved here in the states. I have not heard here that small sewing needles have been banned. You could call the airlines, airport, or your airline security and find out for sure :wink:

I have a pair of fold up scissors that WILL NOT make it thru the security. My advice would be to go to Walmart or somewhere and buy a pair of blunt nose OR what I use now....baby nail clippers!

Blog Entries
    Terri, have they ever stopped you for trying to bring sewing needles?

I wasn't flying internationally, but it was after 9/11. They let me take scissors and crochet hooks on board!!! I think they felt sorry for me....taking 2 daughters and 4 kids to Disneyland!!! :shock: :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Terri, have they ever stopped you for trying to bring sewing needles?
    No, I just have this little sewing kit. Not actually a kit. Just one of those papers folded with 2 needles, couple pieces of thread and a button. No clue where it came from. It's small enough to fit into my wallet. That's where I keep it.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Flying from France to England, you are not allowed even a needle... Maybe check the airline's conditions on their website? The worst they'll do is take it off you though!

If you only want the sissors to cut thread why not take some dental floss. The container will have a cutter on it to cut your thread. Marge

I've never had a problem with the little thing I have that goes in my wallet. I have had my travel scissors TRIED to be taken away, but have always managed to get them into my suitcase. Now, I just bring my baby nail clippers with me.

OK, I think I'll put my needles in one of those little "sewing kits" (like the ones you sometimes get in hotel rooms) in my makup bag, and bring nail clippers rather than sissors for cutting thread.

Thanks all!
    Jan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast