Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Flynn Quilt Frame >
  • Flynn Quilt Frame

• Flynn Quilt Frame

Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 AM

Default Flynn Quilt Frame

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Flynn Quilt Frame? I found it at Nancy's Notions online and since I plan to stick mostly to lap size quilting, I thought this would be a good option for me to quilt my own quilts. Or is it just as easy to quilt that size without a frame? Also, I want to try my luck a landscape quilting and am thinking that this might be good for that type of application.
    Old 01-02-2016, 04:26 AM

Do a search on this board re: the Flynn Frame. Seems more people here "don't" care for the frame. I've never tried it but have considered it (or the Ken Lund frame) just to see if I could FMQ better. I realize it isn't the same as a true longarm, but really don't have the budget or the space for a longarm right now.
    Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that previous posters generally don't like it. I tried one out. You need a big enough table and there is a lot of rerolling involved. I saw it at a show once with an expert using it. On a very small square. Of course that made it look easy peasy. In real life with something other than a tiny quilt maybe not so much. Yes do the search. You will get more info. It may turn out to work for you but get enough info first.
    Old 01-02-2016, 04:58 AM

I got one, found that I needed almost as much table space as a 6 ft quilting frame, way to much rerolling, and for me, just a hassle, so got rid of it.
    Old 01-02-2016, 05:16 AM
    Power Poster

I meet him when he first was first bring this frame to market. I was unimpressed with the smallness of the frame. You just need support your quilt on your left and behind the machine and you should have no problem doing any type of quilting.
    Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 AM
    Power Poster

I bought one and wasn't happy with it. I wanted it for a large quilt, but that meant adding long poles, and since your machine stays stationary you have to move the frame with those poles to the left and right. That means you need about twice the length of the poles, supported on a table. For a small quilt it works fine, but for a small quilt your sewing machine also works fine. I sold mine and doubt that the person who bought it ever used it.
    Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 AM

I have one that I got thinking it would make basting my quilt tops easier, but found I didn't like it. I'd rather just FMQ the old-fashioned way since I can quilt larger designs without it. My machines have 7" throats and the frame takes up some of the throat space. I think I ended up being only able to quilt a 3 or 4 inch strip across the quilt each time before having to re-roll it.

Rob
    Old 01-02-2016, 11:45 AM
    Power Poster

I used one for years to quilt small quilts, especially crib quilts. I used a 6ft folding table. Once I got my co ordination it was fast and easy. I almost gave up as it being too frustrating but when the ah ha moment came, it became enjoyable.
    Old 01-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Ok...I think I got my answer. Thanks so much for your valuable input and I did do the search on previous posts in addition to response here. I have decided that I probably don't need it since I will mostly be working on small quilts to start. I have plenty of folding tables to give myself lots of space for supporting the quilt. Can't wait to get started. Yes....I'm new at this.