Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ on Brother ult2003 (Disney) Embroidery Machine, thread help please. >

FMQ on Brother ult2003 (Disney) Embroidery Machine, thread help please.

FMQ on Brother ult2003 (Disney) Embroidery Machine, thread help please.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Yes, I had to have the bobbin case changed 6 months ago when I took it in for a tuneup. The machine hadn't been used for months so I took the bobbin case out to clean it and I guess I didn't get it back in quite right. The bobbin case was destroyed because the needle kept hitting it!

I've used the embroidery feature quite a lot. That was the whole reason I bought the machine. I use the machine to embroider the quilt labels that go on my finished quilts. Here's a sample of a quilt label:
Attached Thumbnails img_2667.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Very nice label. I bought this machine because I had visions of embroidering tons of quilt blocks. Yeah, that never happened. About 2 months after I bought it, I took a full time job where I am still at today. Last time I took my machine in to be cleaned I asked them how I could add new embroidery patterns to the machine since it only took the old 3.5" floppy disks. Brother sells an adaptor for $129.00 that I'm not willing to buy just yet.

I'll have to try making a label now!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM

How do you have your machine set up Sande? I have a 2003 model and I am having difficulty setting it up to FMQ. I sent you a message asking some other questions as well - I hope that is okay.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

There are much better quality of thread out there than Coats. Next time buy some Guttermann thread instead and try it.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 PM

For anyone that is trying to FMQ using a Brother ult 2003d embroidery machine, here are the steps that I took that finally made it possible for me to FMQ on my ult2003. I now love to FMQ on my Brother embroidery machine:

1) Feed dogs down
2) Used Q presser foot
3) Choose stitch 1-30
4) changed tension to 3.6
5) wore quilting gloves
6) used coats machine quilting mercerized cotton - 30 wt on top and bottom (tried other threads and this Coats was the only one that I could get to work!)
7) used a cone thread stand (the thread was happy when I did this)
8) I use ONLY Schmetz 'topstitch' 80/12 needles. I use topstitch needles for all sewing including embroidery. They work the best and keep the thread for fraying and breaking.

Lots of steps but now it's like a dream come true!

Good luck,

Sande
Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 PM

I think most machines have a certain or recommended adjustments for using fmq. So some fiddling is normal.

On Coats and Clarks threads I must disagree, I have and use many different threads for different things and I have found that C and C is a good thread, my machines like it and make great stitches and it is strong. So I think maybe for some people they don't like it for their reasons, but I also know a lot that do like it including me.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
Very nice label. I bought this machine because I had visions of embroidering tons of quilt blocks. Yeah, that never happened. About 2 months after I bought it, I took a full time job where I am still at today. Last time I took my machine in to be cleaned I asked them how I could add new embroidery patterns to the machine since it only took the old 3.5" floppy disks. Brother sells an adaptor for $129.00 that I'm not willing to buy just yet.

I'll have to try making a label now!
You can buy a floppy disc drive to transfer from computer to sewing machine. I have a HV Designer One that still uses floppies and my new computer did not have a floppy drive. Just google external floppy disc drive and you can find them from $25 on up.