Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt >

FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt

FMQ for Curved Log Cabin Quilt

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
Honestly I would do some thing that was an allover. There is realistically no way to make sure everything stays lined up to match front to back.

Also I would be a tad worried about all the seams you have that are on top of each other (although the batting is in between). Are you quilting it on a longarm or a domestic machine?

Personally I would make this into two qullts because both sides are so beautiful and I personally don't think any FMQ styles will look good on both sides. In the end I think you have to pick one side and quilt that side the way you want and just deal with how it looks on the other if you keep them together.
I would be FMQ it on my domestic machine. I am seriously thinking of making two separate quilts out of these. I love them both and I think that you are right in that they would be better quilting separately. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:54 PM

Just to come back and say there is NO way I would FMQ these as front and back on a domestic. I don't think you would be able to get over all the seam humps on both sides. Too much thickness. And I FMQ'd on my Elna (6001 quilting version) for years (7 or so) before I got my sitdown Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen and I won't even try this on that one. Maybe a longarm where you can "stretch" the front back in a consistent manner and hold them taut.

But both really are beautiful!!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I would definitely make two quilts! It will save you a lot of grief, plus I think they really are two gorgeous quilts rather than one quilt top and one backing.

Of all the markers out there, the only one I would even bother to test would be Crayola Ultraclean Washable markers like these: http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Ultrac...dp/B00IYDM814/ . You would need to thoroughly test whatever color you want to use on every fabric you want to use it on. I would use scraps of the actual fabrics, iron over the marks, set them in sunlight for a day, then wash to see if every trace comes out. Also, I would Google these markers and see if anyone has posted difficulties with getting a color out of their quilt.

I would not try to use any kind of colored chalk or the Frixion pens. The dyes in chalk are notorious for not coming out of fabric, and the Frixion pens can leave permanent shadows on some fabrics.

Depending on how you decide to quilt, you might want to consider using freezer paper templates ironed to the quilt top for FMQ. If you have an Accuquilt Go! cutter, you might even be able to find a die for a design; this makes it super easy to cut out a lof of templates in a short period of time. I also recommending investing in the Jenkins freezer paper; much easier to use in the die cutter than regular freezer paper because it is already cut into flat pieces (it is also thicker than regular freezer paper). Here is a link to the sheets I like on Amazon, although you can also get them from the Jenkins website:
http://www.amazon.com/C-Jenkins-Free...dp/B00114Q5NU/
The templates can be peeled off and re-used too.

If you cannot find a die to use for the freezer paper templates, you can draw your own. A quick way to cut them out is to cut over-sized pieces of freezer paper and trace the design onto one piece. Layer that piece on top of up to 5 additional oversized pieces. Iron around the outside edges so they all stick together. Use a good pair of scissors to cut around the design and, when you are done, you have 6 templates from 1 tracing and 1 cutting.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Finished my Curved Log Cabin baby quilt today. (In time for baby shower on Sunday.) Here is the finished quilt with FMQ, which I did on my domestic machine. Thank you again for all of your advice. It helped me more than I can say.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]542873[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jennys-quilt.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 07:27 AM

do you have the pattern for the front piece only?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by twright7662 View Post
do you have the pattern for the front piece only?
It's called a Curved Log Cabin; if you do a google search you should be able to find several patterns. The center square piece was part of a panel.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:15 PM

Beautiful quilt. I guess a simple way to FMQ both sides together would be just to meander all over. When meandering you can use different patterns such as big loops, small loops, combine big and small loops, make leaves. Those are ones I use but there are more I'm sure.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:52 AM

What beautiful top and back. It is also an unimaginable challenge to line these up for quilting for me. I would end up making 2 separate quilts but on the other hand this is to die for gorgeous quilt top and back.