Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ - a few questions >

FMQ - a few questions

FMQ - a few questions

Old 08-04-2010, 04:59 AM

Hi All,
I'm sure some people will be able to help me with this.
I've done some FMQ, but, can you FM applique? And if you can can you use invisible thread? OR
Should I forget the applique (it's all at least tacked down with fusible) and go straight to FMQ, of course then I'd use regular thread OR
am I better doing it the proven way. do the applique with invisible thread and then FMQ.

Have any of you battled with these same questions and what did you do?

I'll entertain all suggestions and thank I you in advance for your help.
peel
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I don't trust the fusibles to stay on forever. My personal preference is to the do the applique then FMQ. You could probably FMQ it on, but I am afriad that I would miss spots, but I do longarm quilting. It might be easier on a domestic machine.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 AM

If you used the lite fusibles they will come off so the edges will need to be sewn, unless you are going for a raggy look.
Is it a quilt or a wall hanging?
if a quilt do as I stated above but for a wallhanging that won't be washed you can just FMQ
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

i sometimes just fmq my appliques down while quilting instead of stitching them first then quilting; i don't use invisible thread though (it's just me) i have never had any luck using invisible thread and have finally (after wasting lots of money and time) decided it's just not going to work in my machine so i match my colors or just quilt them down with what ever i'm quilting with. other than my invisible thread issues it has not been any problem stitching down the appliques this way, and i liked the way they looked on the back.
if you are unsure of the look try a small practice piece and see how you like doing it that way.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Several years ago I made a charity baby quilt - just simple blue and white rectangles stitched together. When I quilted it I scattered a fabric rabbit and carrots here and there and attached them securely by zig zaging their edges as I quilted.

The quilt looked great and held together really well without needing to applique the rabbit and carrolts on separately.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks all for your help!
It is a wallhanging and I decided to applique it with invisible thread and then I'll FMQ.
Invisible thread drives me a little nuts so I'm not a real fan. I'll reevaluate after I finish this quilt.
I'm going to have to fool around with fm the appliques before I use that in a quilt.
Also I'll try out quilting immediately.
This particular item had heat and bond on some appliques and some steam a seam on some others, these were just tacked down not completely bonded.
Every quilt is a learning experience!!
Thanks again,
peel