Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FMQ makes quilt too stiff??

Blog Entries
    Okay, I've been practicing FMQ, and generally like it. But I'm noticing that my resulting quilt is much "stiffer".

The quilt seems to lose its flowiness. Do you know what I mean? Is this just the nature of FMQ'd quilts? Should I be doing something different?

Thanks.

-- Jillaine

NOT that I have a lot of experience with this but from what I've read it depends on how dense the quilting is. Denser=Stiffer.

I am NOT a pro at this but are you quilting close together? If I want to stiffen say the side of a bag, I FMQ close and tight. If I want it to "drape" (best description) I FMQ larger and with more non-quilted space.

I will be watching this thread as I'm curious too!!

Blog Entries
    Personally, I love the quilts that have all the decorative quilting BUT I think too much thread takes away the cozy factor. I make sure my bed quilts are quilted less dense

I have found that when using Warm & Natural batting my quilts were heavier if I FMQ'd them too much. (Imade a sampler quilt for my RV and it is too heavy to use on top of us, due to the batting and lots ofquilting in every block.

I have switched to Bamboo batting (I get on sale at JoAnn's) which is really soft and appears to be fluffier and softer after FMQ. I also like Hobb's wool--softer and fluffier as well. Trick is less FMQ makes for a softer quilt!.

Blog Entries
    Switch to a finer thread. Stiffness depends in part on how much quilting there is, but also on how heavy the thread is. The finer the thread, the more heavily quilted a piece can be without getting stiff.

What batting are you using? Battings with scrim, such as Warm and Natural, will have a stiffer drape than many other battings.

I think that possibly your are doing your quilting very close together which will stiffen the finished product. Try to 'loosen' up your design. Meandering versus stippling. Remember that the quilting is the frosting on the cake and you should be able to enjoy the cake(quilt). For myself, I can get carried away and the am unhappy with the results.

I use warm and natural and I haven't had any issues with stiffness of any of my quilts.....some are heavy quilted others have stitch in the ditch. Good luck!!

MTS
    Banned
    I can only speak about my quilts.

My quilts are pretty densely (mostly LA) quilted - my preference.
    Majority Warm & Natural batting.
    I wash all my quilts.
    They are used.

And they are just the most comfortable, soft, flexible, snuggle-y creations.
    I love sleeping under them - not because I made it, but because of the feel of the quilt.

Poly might be lighter, but as just mentioned on another thread, that's a whole different look (not to my liking).

Blog Entries
    i prefer the softer look as well, so quilt with a looser design. however, i always drool over the dense quilting in the gorgeous patterns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast