Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ with minky on home sewing machine >

FMQ with minky on home sewing machine

FMQ with minky on home sewing machine

Old 10-20-2016, 10:27 AM

Default FMQ with minky on home sewing machine

I have been doing quilting for my local quilt shop on my home sewing machine. Today they called and asked if I had experience quilting with a minky back - which I have not. So I have been scanning the web to seek out advice and tutorials. I was able to find two tutorials but they were using straight line quilting with a walking foot and this customer wants flowers so I would be FMQing.

I certainly do not want to ruin the quilt but I would also like the experience of quilting with this type of backing. I am not adverse to purchasing some minky and trying it out but wanted some advice from anyone who has quilted a minky backed quilt on their home sewing machine.

Thank you all so much. I am very appreciative of any advice.

Blessings,
Kim
Old 10-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, no practical experience, but I would just wonder about the amount of extra fullness you would need to get thru your machine harp, especially if you will also be using batting. Also, will your foot clear?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 PM

I did a baby quilt with minky on the back. I FMQ'd ducks, stars etc. I just spray basted as usual and it turned out good. I did practice on a sandwich first. Just did what I usually do.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 PM

I did a baby quilt with minky on the back. I FMQ'd ducks, stars etc. I just spray basted as usual and it turned out good. I did practice on a sandwich first. Just did what I usually do. I did not have a batting and I have the machine foot set up not to bounce.

OOPs, did not mean to post 2x
Old 10-20-2016, 01:08 PM

I've done two baby quilts. I suggest straight line quilting and trying not to stretch.

I don't spray baste, but pin baste....I suspect in this case spray basting would help with the stretch. But would still straight line it. And realize your quilting might sink into the back side and not be seen well
Old 10-20-2016, 02:00 PM

I've done FMQ with my DSM on two minky backed twin size quilts and at least one baby quilt without any problems. I pin baste mine. On the twin size I did a large meander, resembling puzzle pieces which my little grandkids noticed and liked. The baby quilt had straight line stitching just because it suited the quilt. By the way, I use Quilters Dream cotton batting, the middle weight, can't think of the name right now. I don't think you will have any problem with a floral design. I think you will be fine.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 PM

I have used minky a lot. However, i am new at free motion, i mostly do straight line quilting. however i did just complete one with some of my first free motion, and it was fine...i don't see a difference. I DO use spray basting on all my quilts, and since the minky is heavy, i use thin batting. usually warm and natural, cotton.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Sorry, no practical experience, but I would just wonder about the amount of extra fullness you would need to get thru your machine harp, especially if you will also be using batting. Also, will your foot clear?
I have a 9" harp so I think I should be all right and I also can raise my pressure foot. Those were things I thought of as well. Hopefully it will work out.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Thank you all for your help and advice. I will go to the shop tomorrow and check it out and maybe get myself a practice piece. They will supply the batting so I will make sure it's thin.

Thanks again!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:12 PM

I've done some Minky backed quilts on my home machine. I did a combination of walking foot and FMQ. I like to stabilize my quilts by quilting the borders first, with stitch-in-the-ditch. Then I stitch-in-the-ditch to stabilize the rest of the quilt. THEN I add the free motion quilting. I didn't find that quilting with minky on the back was any harder than anything else. It does help to spray baste, but I use safety pins, too. And it's so important to baste the the layers together around the outside edge.