Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FMQ newbie must have contrasting thread?????

  1. #1
    Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    746
    I thought I was doing the right thing by using a dark thread on dark fabric but I got totally LOST in meandering. I couldn't see at all and crossed over, made a real mess. I'm just now starting to get some FMQ confidence and feel, once again, like I'm defeated at the start. I began again with a contrast color thread and did OK but it's just not what I had in mind. Is this normal? I would have thought that coordinating thread would hide my many mistakes ... HELP

  2. #2
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,626
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have done several quilts now with FMQ and only recently got brave enough to use contrasting thread. I do usually try to match the bobbin thread to the back, but do sometimes contrast the front. I did a couple that had a lot of black on black...I hated working on it. I couldn't tell where I'd been or where I was going. Matching thread does hide the mistakes, but can be hard to see.

    Use what you like and are comfortable with. Don't worry about crossing over unless you were entering it in a show. No one will know but you anyway. :)

  3. #3
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    6,193
    I agree with katier825. I think of quilting as something that's supposed to be enjoyable!

  4. #4
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,965
    I like the idea that it blends. No one knows but you that you crossed lines. I have just started using contrasting thread and it is much more stressful to me.

  5. #5
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    3,907
    I've fallen in love with varigated (sp?) thread. Most of my quilts are batik and black fabric. Tried quilting with black thread--couldn't see where I was or where I was going! With the varigated it blends in some areas and contrasts in others-pretty neat design effect.
    (PS: I still can't FMQ-I draw designs and just quilt them.)

  6. #6
    Super Member Rachelcb80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, MS
    Posts
    1,058
    Okay, so I'm not trying to ask a dumb question, but do you have good lighting in your sewing area? I have to light the world up in my sewing area but that helps me see even the most perfectly matched thread and fabric.

    But I agree with the others in that quilting is supposed to be fun, and there are no "rules". Use the color thread that you like and know that you are gaining experience with every quilt.

  7. #7
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I have done several quilts now with FMQ and only recently got brave enough to use contrasting thread. I do usually try to match the bobbin thread to the back, but do sometimes contrast the front. I did a couple that had a lot of black on black...I hated working on it. I couldn't tell where I'd been or where I was going. Matching thread does hide the mistakes, but can be hard to see.

    Use what you like and are comfortable with. Don't worry about crossing over unless you were entering it in a show. No one will know but you anyway. :)
    There are no quilt or FMQ police allowed on the quillting board...

  8. #8
    Super Member hperttula123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,445
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I've fallen in love with varigated (sp?) thread. Most of my quilts are batik and black fabric. Tried quilting with black thread--couldn't see where I was or where I was going! With the varigated it blends in some areas and contrasts in others-pretty neat design effect.
    (PS: I still can't FMQ-I draw designs and just quilt them.)
    Varigated thread is awesome to work with. I always use something that you can see the quilting. I think it's beautiful and needs to be seen.

    I like how well you can see it!
    Name:  Attachment-120085.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  58.5 KB

  9. #9
    Super Member GladGrams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by hperttula123
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    I've fallen in love with varigated (sp?) thread. Most of my quilts are batik and black fabric. Tried quilting with black thread--couldn't see where I was or where I was going! With the varigated it blends in some areas and contrasts in others-pretty neat design effect.
    (PS: I still can't FMQ-I draw designs and just quilt them.)
    Varigated thread is awesome to work with. I always use something that you can see the quilting. I think it's beautiful and needs to be seen.
    Did you do that FMQ on your regular machine? I am dripping green with envy at how beautiful it looks. :mrgreen:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.