Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ - Queen size quilt? >

FMQ - Queen size quilt?

FMQ - Queen size quilt?

Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 PM

Tucky, do you baste with water soluble thread or regular and remove
Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
DJ.. I have FMQ a few king and queen size on my Brother VQ2400 it has a 11 inch throat space, this helps a lot.. I have done large quilts on my small throat machine before I bought the Brother and it worked out ok, I just went slow and squished the quilt instead of rolling it..just take your time and go slow and if you get tired rest for a while..hope you find where you want to go with FMQ, it can be a lot of fun to do..
I have done several queen size on my Bernina that has a 11 inch harp space. I just start in the middle and work my way out. Sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks depending on how complex the design is. Key is to take your time and enjoy the experience. Quilting is suppose to be fun.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:06 PM

I have good harp space on my Janome Horizon and have successfully FMQ'd a number of queen sized quilts on it. That said, I have since done several in sections and really like it. I separately layered backing, batting & top sections for each quarter of the quilt (4 sections for straight set blocks), 3 for a quilt with blocks set on point. So much easier to quilt these smaller sections before joining them and works especially well on quilts without borders. It is a fun way to utilize pieced backings as well. Instructions for quilting in sections (also QAYG) can be found in many how to quilt books but I best understood it from one of Marti Michell's books about scrap quilting.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:40 AM

I think the hardest part of quilting a large quilt on a DSM is the weight of the quilt...if your machine is set into a cabinet and you can add a table or other surface to help support the weight of the quilt, you might have less struggle.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
How difficult it is depends on the throat space and also what batting you are using. I have done a very large king using warm and natural batting on a machine with a 9.5 inch throat. A bit hairy in the center of the quilt but fine once I was out from the center a little. Supporting the quilt and having an extended table is part of the secret. You want as large a flat surface at the base of the needle as possible. For support, I work in a corner of the room, so the quilt can't slip off the left or back of my desk/table. I use my lap to support in front if there is more than will fit on the front of the table. It does take a bit of muscle to work a large quilt through the machine, so frequent breaks are a good idea.
Agree...I do believe a larger throat space helps the process.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
Greetings!

In another thread quiltlady1941 commented on injuring herself while free motion quilting a queen size quilt. I didn't want to hijack her thread, and hope she heals quickly. It did, however, make me curious about how to do FRQing on that large a quilt on a domestic machine. I know one way would be to use a quilt-as-you-go method. Any other ideas? I have enough trouble managing to straight-line quilt something that large, so I don't know how I would manage to move it around for free motion.

Thanks for your comments.
So did you come up with a resolution that will work for you? Nice to hear final thoughts when advice is requested.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 AM

I started doing FMQ on a machine with a 5" harp. It wasn't all that fun constantly trying to push/pull the quilt through that little hole. The dealership when I was buying my NX-2000, said my first machine was only for piecing. Now that I have a bigger harp area, I've been having so much fun with it!!! You can do the puddling or roll the half under the harp. Sometimes that seems to work better for me; other times I just squish. I always do my own quilting on DSM. Enjoy your FMQ adventure!!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I have quilted several queen size quilts on my domestic machine, even including a king size quilt. You do need to have the quilt supported on the side and back to take some stress off the quilt. Break the quilt down into sections, working from the middle to the edge, then reversing to the other side. I have a girl friend who does fantastic FMQ on her domestic machine, so you can too.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:40 AM

When quilting with a domestic/home machine, its important not to hunch your shoulders up and just relax your body. If possible have your machine down in a table so that it sits flat, much easier on your shoulders,neck and back. Have your chair at the correct height. I only quilt for 1/2 hour at a time and go do something else that requires different muscles. Leah Day has great youtube videos on machine quilting with a regular machine.
Sharon
Old 11-24-2016, 06:51 AM

There is a class on Craftsy called Big Projects on Little Machines I found really helpful if this isn't cost prohibitive.