Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: fmq question

fmq question

I started to quilt on a quilt today and I am having a problem with my stitches skipping when I fmq. I changed the needle and rethreaded my machine. If I sew on my practice piece it works fine, but when I quilt on the quilt I get skipped stitches.

I have the quilt bunched up and don't think it is dragging. The only other thing I can think of is I spray basted with Dritz basting spray. I usually don't use that, but it is the only thing that I could get locally.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No help from me, but I will be watching this thread since I am still having trouble with fmq myself. Good luck,Gina

Power Poster
    Is your sample sandwich sprayed with the Dritz as well? If not, do another sample and see if it skips with the Dritz. If that isn't the problem, I sometimes have an occasional skipped stitch on batiks because of the tight weave. Try changing to a needle that makes a slightly larger hole when it goes through the sandwich and see if that helps.

Is it possible that when you move the quilt you're deflecting the needle slightly, so it's out of position can't form a stitch when it reaches the bobbin area? If that's the case, slowing down the movement of the quilt might help.

I changed to a larger needle and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help.

I just got the Dritz spray basting also because that is the only thing available in my area. I used it for my last quilt and it was fine. I am glad you have found the problem and it works for you now.
    Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    I changed to a larger needle and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

So glad you were able to work it out!!!!!