Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ questions >

FMQ questions

FMQ questions

Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM

OK
Hopefully I'll finish my BOM this week. I'll post when it is done.

Can I do FMQ starting in the middle and working out? doing it 1/4 at a time?
Do I have to roll it up in the arm of the machine?

I know that sending it out is way to expensive for me- even though I wish I could. Love the work I've seen on here.

Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to do more than stich in the ditch.

Thanks in Advance. :lol:
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

What size is the quilt? If you are FMQing, yes, you can start in the middle and work your way out to the edges. You will probably want to knot and bury your thread ends; there won't be too many of them. Instead of rolling, I usually loosely accordion pleat the portion of the quilt that goes under the arm of the machine.

Is the quilt already layered? For large quilts it can be much easier to split the batting into sections to minimize bulk under the arm. Marti Michell has a book out on how to do this.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM

I was shocked at how affordable longarming is, PM the quilters whose work you admire and just see...
Power Poster

I do mine by draping the part of the quilt I am not quilting through the throat of the machine. I always start in the middle. How big is your quilt?

You can start anywhere you like. I usually start in the middle and work my way out. I don't roll my quilts. I just puddle. Believe me, it's easier to move a puddle than a log. Take your time. Stop and readjust your puddle often to keep it flad where you are quilting.

Hope any of that helped.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

Definitely start in the middle of the quilt and work your way out. I always found the huge roll unweildy... instead I preferred the "scrunch and bunch" method.

A teflon sheet on the bed of your sewing machine table really helps the quilt slide around, less friction. But mainly, make sure the quilt is well supported all the way around so there's no drag while you're trying to quilt it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Yes I agree, puddling makes for easier moving than rolling. I also put my ironing board at a right angle on my left (at sewing machine table height) to help support the quilt.

I use a Supreme Slider now, and find it makes moving the quilt easier, makes a difference over time, my arms get less tired.

FMQ is fun!!!! So far I've started in the centre of one long edge and worked across the quilt to secure it, then either in rows or in quarters.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM

My quilt is 108 by 108.
What is a teflon sheet? Quilt shop purchase or where from?
What is a Supreme Slider?

Do you draw on the design or not?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 AM

The price where I am at to long arm runs about 2 cents an inch. Since Im new still in these parts, I prefer to do my quilting myself. I could ship it out, but then you have to add shipping fees on top of the price of the quilting. I have hand quilted for 20 plus years, but for Valintines day, DH bought me a Brother CS6000i that has free motion quilting on it, and a stich that makes it look hand done. I am going to try it out this week since I have a few days off and see how it does.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenR
My quilt is 108 by 108.
What is a teflon sheet? Quilt shop purchase or where from?
What is a Supreme Slider?

Do you draw on the design or not?
Thanks
A super slider is a teflon sheet. If you have a sewing surface that is flush with your machine bed (either the machine is sunk into the table or you have a raised table) then the slider will keep the quilt from dragging on the surface. Brand name ones at the quilt shop, you can also try a cheap silicone bake sheet. Cut a hole for the needle.

You can draw the design on the quilt, free hand it, draw the design on tissue or Golden Thread paper (from LQS) and pin to quilt.

Do a search on this board for FMQ and you will get lots of posts with great suggestions.