Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FMQ recommended needle size on cotton would be...???

FMQ recommended needle size on cotton would be...???

Any other tips regarding FMQ (free motion quilting) would be appreciated, as well. I have watched Leah Day tutorials, but did not notice anything about best needle size to use on 100% cotton, or if that would even make a difference.

Blog Entries
    Usually my needle sizes are determined by my thread size.
    Sadiemae

You would choose the needle size based on the thread size that you're using in the needle. With 70wt threads, I use a 9, 10 or 11, depending upon which is giving me the best stitch. With 60wt threads, 10, 11 or 12; with 50wt, 11, 12 or 14; 30wt, 14 or 16 and with 12wt, 18, 20 or 22, again always depending on which needle is giving me the best stitch.

Hope that helps!
    Elizabeth

I use a Jeans Needle (which is the same as a quilting needle), they come in different sizes. I use a thinner one for light quilts and the thicker ones with heavy or thicker batting. Jeans Needles have a really sharp tip and that's really important. I got this information years ago from a free motion class.

Blog Entries
    i think i have a jeans needle in my machine right now
    Nancy in western NY

Did not consider thread weight at all! I think our little beginner class was assuming we would all be using all-purpose thread and so we were told to get a 70/10 I think. Yikes! More to these needles than meets the eye! (pun intended.) Thank you all for weighing in with some food for thought. Back to the machine for a more informed go at it!

Blog Entries
    I have a package of quilting needles, but I usually use my same old piecing needle - a basic size 11. I would use a 14 on denim, but haven't quilted any yet.

Blog Entries
    I think Superior Threads recommends a topstitch needle for FMQ, regardless of size. Might want to take needle type into consideration as well as needle size.

your needle size needs to be correct for the chosen thread- really has nothing to do with the fabrics- other than using the correct type of needle for the fabric being sewn-
    visit the Superior Threads web site- they have free charts you can print off that tell you all the different needle types/sizes their recommended uses- and the threads- weights/types, what needle to use with what thread for what.
    it is a great resource- will answer many of your questions.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use a metallic 80/12....Learned it from a FMQ class....Works great for me
    FancyFoot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast