Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ skipped stitches?? >

FMQ skipped stitches??

FMQ skipped stitches??

Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Yep try a new needle. I found that if the tip is bent (curved) it will skip stitches. Mine was even pulling the weave of the fabric so the threads from the fabric were stopping the needle thread from catching the bobbin thread.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
It really could just be a matter of coordination if everything else seems right. Does it stitch correctly on your quilt sandwich with the same thread but using a regular foot with the feed dogs up (engaged)?
I would first change the needle. Then carefully re-thread your upper thread. FMQ does take a lot of practice to get it correct. You need to find a consistent speed and watch the rate that your machine moves the fabric. When FMQ, you need to hit that speed and move the fabric at the same rate that the machine moved the fabric. I can tell by the hum my Bernina makes when I am at that speed. Be sure to NOT look at where your needle is but look ahead to where you want to do so that you know in what direction to move your quilt. Be patient, it will take time. Took you time to learn to drive a car so hang in there.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 AM

I'm a total noob so take this in the spirit it is given. I was having similar troubles with FMQ. I figured out that in my case it was the brand of needle. I can get away with inexpensive ones for piecing and general sewing but when I FMQ, I need a different quality of needle. I have Mom's machine with all her accessories and I can't tell you for sure what brands work because the packages don't have labels anymore. But I know what doesn't work for me - el cheapo needles. I now keep my FMQ needles in a special box, labeled so I can find them. I use size 14 btw. Even with this knowledge, I am FMQ right now and one of the fabrics in my quilt causes my needle to skip stitches now and then. Just one particular fabric. Ugh. I've changed needles over and over and that fabric keeps giving me a hard time. I'm compensating by stitching very closely on that fabric so if a stitch is missed, others will fill in. Not sure if that's correct, but that's my plan.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM

Something I don't see mentioned.... Sometimes when I FMQ and go over a lumpy seam or intersection of seams I get skipped stitches. Again, slowing down and having a good and proper sized needle help.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the tips! I will do some investigating and see if I can get to the root of the problem!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 AM

I found that having a fabric with metallic flecks will cause all kinds of havoc with FMQ. You can sew it, use straight stitching - either as a pattern or SITD, no problem. Use a regular stitch on the sewing machine like a serpentine, no problem, try FMQ? The minute you hit a fleck wrong, the trouble starts. You don't feel anything pulling, but stitches get skipped. Use a regular sandwich - no skips. Make a trial sandwich of flecked fabric - skips. Mostly on corners and curves, but will also skip on straight. As long as you had foot pressure and feed dogs, fabric just fine.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 AM

I just received a quilt from a longarmer and it is not going to be given as a gift as I had originally planned because of the numerous....oodles.....of skipped stitches. I sent, a new to me, Legacy poly batting that I had never used before. Her machine just didn't like it.....also the entire quilt was batiks; however she has done batiks for me before and never had a problem. Makes me sick, but I can only assume it was the batting.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:32 AM

I'm going to be a little radical and say it could also be the foot you're using for the FMQ. I have a "big foot" for one of my machines and it causes skipping like crazy. If I change absolutely nothing else about the machine other than the foot and stitch I skip no stitches ever. The reason it skips is that it hangs up on the machine and doesn't hold the fabric right so the stitch can finish forming right. I'll fix it one day maybe.

Does the machine skip stitches at all if you stitch with it regularly? If not, look at the foot, your speed and coordination like has been mentioned and I bet you find the problem.

wendig - what did the LAer say about the skipped stitches? there are a LOT of factors on her end that could have caused the problem too.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:27 PM

You probably would be better served asking someone where you purchased your machine.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:25 PM

Don't forget to cover or lower your feed dogs and, if necessary, slow down a bit.