Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ skipped stitches?? >

FMQ skipped stitches??

FMQ skipped stitches??

Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM

Question FMQ skipped stitches??

Ok, so this is likely just "operator error" but I'm hoping someone else can tell me what is going on...I bought a free motion foot for my machine, and I can't seem to get it down. Even when following a simple line or curve, it skips stitches. (Needle goes down and back up, but doesn't actually stitch.) it is random; sometimes every 10th stitch, sometimes several in a row. What am I doing wrong??
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 PM

What kind of thread are you using? What kind of bobbin thread are you using? What size needle are you using? Does it stitch going forward and skip when moving the fabric back? The thread will determine the needle size and type. The type of thread on top will determine what you have in the bobbin.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM

I've been using surelock polyester thread for top and bobbun thread. Regular 90/14 needles. I haven't tried backwards, it skips going forwards.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

What kind of machine do you have? Is your free motion foot a "floating" foot or a "jumping" foot? (Jumping feet have a spring in them; foot moves up and down with the needle.)

There could be so many different causes of your problem, it's really hard to say. It does seem to me that the needle is rather large; in my domestic machine I usually use a size 80 for FMQ.

Are your stitches small or big? When moving the fabric fast you can actually bend the needle enough so that it doesn't meet the bobbin at the right time. However, I would think your size 90 needle would be tough enough to not do that. If this is your first time doing FMQ, though, you may be making the beginner mistake of moving the fabric too fast. If you floor the pedal, it's harder to move the fabric too fast for the needle (because the needle is going up and down much faster). If you are cautious with the machine speed though, it's easier to move the fabric too fast.

It might even be your thread. Do you have some other thread you could try?

Ideally you want to change just one thing at a time to figure out what is causing the problem. Perhaps start with the thread. Also make sure that your needle is straight; a bent needle can cause this type of problem.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Prism99 has trouble shooted all the right things for you. My first thought is to slow down your hand movement just a little. If you move to fast the needle bends to much and misses the pick up of the bobbin thread. Practice will improve this.
Trial and error during the learning is the way it works. Be patient and it will come.
peace
Old 10-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I would try a different size needle. Try both a larger and smaller one. What kind of machine do you have? Some machines have a darning setting, so check your owner's manual.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Is your bobbin in correctly? Do you have a lot of lint in the bobbin area? Do you pull up your bobbin thread when you start? If you use a 50 weight thread, your needle is a bit big. I also generally use a 80/12. When you have everything set up, do a few stitches really slow to see if the thread is being grabbed. It may be that you are going too fast too???? so many possibilities. I wish you patience and good luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:47 PM

It really could just be a matter of coordination if everything else seems right. Does it stitch correctly on your quilt sandwich with the same thread but using a regular foot with the feed dogs up (engaged)? I definitely had the same type of problem when I was starting to practice FMQing. I even threw away a few spools of thread because I thought they wouldn't work in my machine. After a lot of practice, I figured out that everything worked just fine once I got more coordinated with my hand movement/machine speed.

Kudos to to you for giving it a good try. Just keep working on it and you will get it!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:04 PM

The first thing I tell people when they are skipping stitches, is to put a new needle in, and make sure your needle is pushed all the way up. If it isn't all the way up, that will throw off the timing.

Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Make sure you have put the lever down for the foot. Sometimes folks forget that small detail.