Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fmq

Blog Entries

Fmq

I am quilting a baby quilt for my new so to be grandchild. I use a stencil, being new to quilting is,this still considered FMQ. This is the first quilting I have done ! Thanks a lot for looking at my question

Blog Entries
    You mean you are marking the pattern onto the quilt top using a stencil? If you are free motion quilting along the lines of the design, sure, this is still considered FMQing. FMQ basically refers to not using the feed dogs, thereby directing the stitching with your hands. It can be done without a pattern on the quilt top, or it can be done with a pattern on the quilt top.

I sure would consider it FMQing. I just do a large stipple, I love it and almost always do it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

FMQ = "Free Motion Quilting" - which describes the motion used to perform the stitch, not the method used to design it. So yes - regardless if you are following a stencil, chalk line, applique outline - as long as you are guiding the fabric through the machine (as opposed to the machine automatically feeding the fabric) you are "Free Motion Quilting".
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU ANSWERS. I am using a pencil and tracing on the fabric.