Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ with tension issues >

FMQ with tension issues

FMQ with tension issues

Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Default FMQ with tension issues

I have a Janome 6600, and have had a wonderful time with her since buying her over a year ago. Now...all of a sudden....I can't get the tension right on the backside of the quilt while fmq. I've tried rethreading (Connecting Threads cotton, top and bottom), new needle, cleaned out the bobbin case, tension dial at all points. Nothing is working. I still end up with the thread laying on the top of the backside fabric and dots of the top thread very visible. I am frustrated beyond belief. I've tried to set the speed at high, low and somewhere in between with no difference. I've tried going real slow with the fabric and all I end up with is very small stitches and the same issues on the backside. Somebody....PLEASE....tell me what I am missing? Is it something simple? Or is it time for some basic maintenance?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

If there's a problem on the back, it's normally the top thread. It sounds like there is a piece of thread or lint or something in the tension disks. You can try unthreading, then turning the top tension disk down as low as possible, then floss with UNWAXED dental floss, or buttonhole twist thread.

Also, remember to put the foot up when threading the machine, then down when threading the needle.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

With my Bernina bobbin there is a tiny screw to adjust bobbin tension. Does your Janome have a bobbin screw? If so, mark where it is by the hand of a clock and try loosening it a bit at a time. If that does not help...because you know where it was to start with, you can then move it back and start adjusting it tighter.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM

Janome has a bobbin case for FMQ, and it is wonderful. It has the tension adjusted properly for the 6600. It's about $25, and worth every penny!! When doing FMQ on the 6600, I always set the speed to medium.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM

I have a janome Quilter's Companion and I have had trouble with FMQ ever since I bought it.