Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ - tension? issues >

FMQ - tension? issues

FMQ - tension? issues

Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM

Default FMQ - tension? issues

Ladies -- I've been practicing FMQ and I think I'm having tension issues but I don't know how to fix the problem.

Attached is a pic of the bottom side of a practice quilt sandwich. I've outlined in red where I removed the hopping foot and stitched with the straight stitch foot. No problems on the top or the bottom with the stitch quality.

Then before trying the FMQing, I thoroughly cleaned the bobbin case of dust and lint, and made sure that the tension was not changed from the straight stitch setting. I started out with a new needle and I'm using King Tut thread in the bottom and on the top. The batting is Warm and Natural low loft. When FMQ, I've started to get the hang of keeping the stitching speed even, the pressure on the foot pedal even, and not moving the fabric sandwich too fast.

Not sure how to fix this so if anyone can give me some suggestions I'd appreciate your help.

Stitch124
Attached Thumbnails stitching-problem.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 AM

I shall be watching this thread because I have a very similar problem. I have already switched from 'auto' tension to a dialed tension and did see a small improvement.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 AM

It could be that you are not quite in sync with the needle movement as you are moving the fabric; I struggled with that when I was starting out.

First, just concentrate on making good stitches, not necessarily making loops, curves, etc. Try stitching some straight-ish lines of stitching when you are FMQ and see if you can get a better feel for how/when to move the fabric as the stitches form. After awhile it becomes second nature to allow the fabric to momentarily pause as the needle is in its furthest down position. Your aren't really starting and stopping the fabric motion at all, just holding in a manner so that the machine dictates when it moves freely and when it hesitates ever so slightly. You will need to try stitching at different speeds to see when the fabric moves most smoothly for you also.

Hope this makes some sense to you. Give it a try, and keep asking questions, and eventually it will start to work for you too!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I always have to increase my top tension for FMQ. I put mine up 2 whole numbers from regular sewing tension. When I get done with the FMQ, I dial it back down to the factory setting for regular sewing.
Also I am not very fond of King Tut threads and you didn't mention the weight of your thread. I like 50 wt. for top threads with a lighter thread in the bobbin.

Last edited by Tartan; 02-04-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 AM

I also do like Tartan, heavier thread on top, lighter thread on bottom....that's what seems to work for me.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 AM

With King Tut you also need to use a size 14 top stitch needle.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 AM

If you are using a frame, like the John Flynn frame, make sure your quilt sandwich is a bit loose within the frame---nice and flat and smooth, but a bit baggy.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

It's not uncommon to need to adjust tension, once you leave straight stitching and move to FMQ ... under the same conditions as you have demonstrated with your test piece.

Don't fear tension adjustment ... just make notes as to where it is ideal for you.
And recognize that the next time it just might be different!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM

I am using 50wt for top and bottom...still learning about thread wts.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I always have to increase my top tension for FMQ. I put mine up 2 whole numbers from regular sewing tension. When I get done with the FMQ, I dial it back down to the factory setting for regular sewing.
Also I am not very fond of King Tut threads and you didn't mention the weight of your thread. I like 50 wt. for top threads with a lighter thread in the bobbin.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 AM

Also I'm using 90/14 needle.

Not using a frame - not sure why as it is FMQing so why the need for a frame?