Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: FMQ and thread breaking

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    400
    What thread do you use when FMQ. I have used both cotton and poly/cotton covered thread. I have changed size needles 12 and 14. Any ideas. I do have this problem ever so often. I just change until I find a solution. Any ideas. I have FMQ for a long time but don't have all the answers. :lol: The one with all the answers please step forward. :wink:

  2. #2
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,459
    I'm taking a step back, since I don't have all the answers. It happens to me as well, and I have done the same as you by changing the needle and different threads. I can't figure it out. I think that is just one of the casualties of FMQ.

  3. #3
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,650
    Blog Entries
    3
    My favorite thread is Aurifil 100% cotton 50 WT thread. I don't have many thread breakages.

    Have you tried to adjust the tension? Maybe it needs to loosen up a little? Another thought - what kind of foot are you using? Could your foot be catching on previously quilted sections and pulling? I had that problem with an open foot. I like the closed one for that reason.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I'm taking a step back, since I don't have all the answers. It happens to me as well, and I have done the same as you by changing the needle and different threads. I can't figure it out. I think that is just one of the casualties of FMQ.
    There are times it's a breeze, no thread breaking, no dragging, you know everything goes smooth. But then there are times, ooh. :roll: I'm thinking the background material I used may be the problem. That is what I'm quilting right now. It may not be 100% cotten. It's a scrappy table topper.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    My favorite thread is Aurifil 100% cotton 50 WT thread. I don't have many thread breakages.

    Have you tried to adjust the tension? Maybe it needs to loosen up a little? Another thought - what kind of foot are you using? Could your foot be catching on previously quilted sections and pulling? I had that problem with an open foot. I like the closed one for that reason.
    No I haven't adjusted tension. I have a D1 and usually it is adjusted accordingly. I am using a FMQ stitch where the feed dogs are dropped automatically. The foot is small round and clear, not open but is the same I always use. No it isn't catching on other stitches. I may try the tension change. Thank you.

  6. #6
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,082
    Hello - well I DONT have ALL the answers but thought I'd run a couple things past you. Are you using a "cone" of thread or a spool? have you loosened your top tension?

    If your using a cone of thread, be sure you are using it with thread coming off the top of the cone (not cone laying down) does that make sense?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by suebee
    Hello - well I DONT have ALL the answers but thought I'd run a couple things past you. Are you using a "cone" of thread or a spool? have you loosened your top tension?

    If your using a cone of thread, be sure you are using it with thread coming off the top of the cone (not cone laying down) does that make sense?
    Just a regular spool.

  8. #8
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,082
    OK, try the tension then, different fabrics and battings have different results. I used to be afraid to adjust my tension, but not anymore. If you adjust your top tension, you may have to adjust your bobbin as well. Stitch on a practice piece as your adjusting your tension.

    Ive learned alot from Bob @ Superior Threads, what needles to use with what types of thread and tension etc.... here is a link to a Thread Guide that is awesome. I have printed it out and placed it on the wall by my machines.
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/media...HOME_10-10.pdf

  9. #9
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks for the link

    Quote Originally Posted by suebee
    OK, try the tension then, different fabrics and battings have different results. I used to be afraid to adjust my tension, but not anymore. If you adjust your top tension, you may have to adjust your bobbin as well. Stitch on a practice piece as your adjusting your tension.

    Ive learned alot from Bob @ Superior Threads, what needles to use with what types of thread and tension etc.... here is a link to a Thread Guide that is awesome. I have printed it out and placed it on the wall by my machines.
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/media...HOME_10-10.pdf

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ok
    Posts
    400
    SueBee thank you for the chart. I printed it out. I changed the top tension. It didn't break as often but is still breaking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.