Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fold and Sew

Blog Entries
    I have two quilts started using paper piecing. It is fun and quick and you can get a couple quilt blocks done in an evening. The points are pointy and it is a very accurate block when completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    ...Simply Quilts. It's how I started piecing things in earnest!
    Do you subscribe to Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims' The Quilt Show? http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php I'm impressed by their Blog and the Subscription-only show. I taped a webcast with them that should air late in 2011. In fact, Alex demonstrated a few techniques with me. Me, I can't talk and rotary cut simultaneously.

We were photographed by Gregory Case watching a monitor display my quilt when it was in Times Square
    Name:  Attachment-160886.jpe
Views: 22
Size:  122.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Ah Miss Anita, yes you did invent that. I've read your book on it and love it!

Thank you so much for answering and I'm so happy I asked.
    I wondered if it really was a accurate and 'easy' method.
    I found your books, but couldn't get a 'taste' of them on Google books.
    But I watched the link of CT now and I understand that method a lot better. I even do have vellum from my card-making-days ;-).
    Of course I tried the video's ( thought I might be lucky LOL) but no!.

I am working with thangles, and love that, so I decided
    I'm going to my LQS this week, I'll ask if she has the books and otherwise will buy it online .
    I noticed you have written 3 books, I think I 'need' the 2 about blocks ;-).
    Once again thank you for taking the time to answer, I'm glad you did.

Dya

I sew this way often and can answer your question. The truth is I invented this method. I made a video detailing it in 2003 with HGTV for the Simply Quilts show.
    http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/20...-patterns.html
    Unfortunately, the segments can only be seen on U.S. computers so you are unable to see them in the Netherlands.

However, the series of 14 pictures here
    http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_p...ISPP_step1.cfm
    should give you an understanding the process. I hope this helps.

Anita Grossman Solomon

(To save anyone future aggravation, you should know that the accurate and authentic version of the book Make It Simpler Paper Piecing is 9 inches wide, not 8 1/2 inches wide)[/quote]

Thank you, I'm sure I'm gonna try now.

Btw: it's a great time to make decisions, it's 2 am ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis
    I have two quilts started using paper piecing. It is fun and quick and you can get a couple quilt blocks done in an evening. The points are pointy and it is a very accurate block when completed.

Thank you, great tip too.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Yes, I have done this using freezer paper. First, I draw the pattern on the freezer paper and perforate the pattern using an old needle. It makes folding the paper back much easier. To sew ALONG the paper edge, I use the zipper foot and move the needle as close to the edge as possible. Great method!

Dya, so glad you asked this question. The videos are very informative. Looks so very easy. Thanks.

Wow...I just bought Anitia's book on this technique two days ago...I am going to ck out the Video now.

Wow! Loved the videos, going to have to look for the books!

Dya,
    Have you seen this link? Some directions after all.

Printable directions: http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/nine-pa...ock/index.html You will see tiny "+ " symbols on images. Click on the "+" to enlarge images.

Accompanying paper pattern is linked on this page:
    http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/20...ion-block.html

While someone might say, "That's such an easy block, why would anyone choose to paper piece it?" I chose it in 2002 to record for television in January 2003 because cutting its 2.5 inch patches, rather than an odd size, would be attainable by most of the audience. And frankly, I enjoy paper piecing that block. The Nine-patch Variation demonstrated the block is entirely pieced on one uncut sheet of THIN vellum and it's unnecessary to true-up its triangle squares.

...What doesn't get cut up need not be matched up and pinned together again.

Anita Grossman Solomon

(To save anyone future aggravation, you should know that the accurate and authentic version of the book Make It Simpler Paper Piecing is 9 inches wide, not 8 1/2 inches wide)

Anita's current Nine-Patch Variation blocks in-progress
    Name:  Attachment-162162.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  101.2 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast