Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Folding seams in one direction >

Folding seams in one direction

Folding seams in one direction

Old 11-04-2015, 05:36 PM

Somewhere on line, a blogger studied various thread brands under a microscope . . .and the surprise was, not all 50wt thread is equal. Most brands, even at 50 or 60wt, while light weight, weren't dense enough, but rather bulkier than others. The one that was super dense and the one I get the best results with, is Aurifil 50 wt.

But, I also use, at the recommendation of Edyta Sitar, Schmetz Microtex 70 needles (and change needles after every full bobbin is emptied on my big machine, and every other bobbin on my normal size bobbins)

The needle hole is smaller . . .and on batiks especially, when the hole often stays put, this makes a difference.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:49 PM

I remember seeing a video several years ago (link shared by someone on this Board, as I recall) that debunked several quilting "truisms." Actually, he said that while they might be true for hand-quilting, they did not apply to machine piecing/quilting.

If memory serves, the speaker said the following:

1. It's ok to press seams open.

2. It's ok to use poly/cotton thread.

As a result, I usually press my seams open, and it works very well. And I always use poly/cotton thread. No problems so far.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
60 wt thread. I use Bottom Line.
Is Bottom Line for bobbins and top thread? I always thought it was just for Bobbins. I am curious about this.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 AM

.I don't ever press my seams open; I don't think they will wear as well and I fear the thread may break due to wear. etc/
Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 AM

I made Birds In The Air and didn't have your problem. I use a scant quarter inch when sewing. The quilt is far more durable with seams pressed to side than open. I've had the experience and won't do it again.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
If memory serves, the speaker said the following:

1. It's ok to press seams open.

2. It's ok to use poly/cotton thread.

As a result, I usually press my seams open, and it works very well. And I always use poly/cotton thread. No problems so far.
Sushi, my personal experience does not agree with the first statement. It may not make a difference if your quilts are carefully hand washed, but most of mine get thrown in the washer whether I want them to or not. Unless you do very close quilting, you will develop broken seams with regular use. Obviously, not an issue with a small wallhanging.

2. I totally agree with the second statement. However I use a looser stitch and always use rotten when paper piecing. I do not use poly-cotten on kitchen items since it can melt. That's probably overkill on my part.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:05 PM

Here's the link to a discussion of open vs. side pressing: http://craftnectar.com/2012/02/17/th...ng-seams-open/
Old 11-05-2015, 05:51 PM

I think the answer you are looking for is to make a scant quarter inch seam. This allows for the fold over.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:25 AM

Is 60wt as "strong" as 40wt as far as wear/tear of seam stress..just asking
Old 11-08-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by NancyMaria View Post
Is Bottom Line for bobbins and top thread? I always thought it was just for Bobbins. I am curious about this.
I believe Bottom Line was designed for bobbin use. It's a strong, fine thread, so you can load more on a bobbin and quilt a lot farther without having to change bobbins. I started using it as my top thread when I was paper-piecing a 6" feathered star and needed hyper-accurate seams. I was so pleased with it that now I use it exclusively for ALL my piecing.