Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board >

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Food For Thought For Quilters on This Board

Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 AM

Default Posting Comments

Ok. Let me ask this question. Lets say a post is made and the quilter says he/she is a new quilter and this is the first quilt and asks for comments. The picture posted clearly shows workmanship that everything is wrong. Not just a mistake here and there.....but really bad work. What kind of comments does one make. Clearly the person needs help. There is no indication in the post of attempting to learn, in fact the poster says he/she is a self learner. Advice of "practice, practice, practice" is clearly not what the person needs. But, there are 150 comments that says, "been there", beautifutiful colors", "no quilt police here, you can do whatever you want", "the person receiving the quilt will appreciate it". Come on......someone who knows nothing about quilting can see mismatched seams. So what should one do......just ignore the post if you can't say something positive. This is the day and age of learning on the internet from many view points. What does one do?

an
Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I was just looking at the list of pictures that have been posted on the board, going to them and posting comments. Everyone of us, even the more experienced quilters, but mainly the beginners, would love comments about the pictures of our quilt projects. I have noticed on several of the pictures posted, there are around 2,000 views (or more) of the thread but only 20 or less comments posted. I would like to suggest that we take a couple of minutes to make a quick comment on these threads to offer encouragement to each other. Each comment only has to be 10 characters and could result in a "pat on the back" or a "way to go" to someone who really needed it. Just a thought from my heart that I think could make a big difference. GOD Bless
Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM

I assume that if a person is seeking a critical viewpoint, they will have said something to indicate that. Something like, 'What do you think about . . .', 'is this border color okay . . .', 'need input on such and such . . .', 'please let me know if you see something out of place . . .', 'how can I match seams better . . .', etc. If someone hasn't indicated they want critical feedback, I wouldn't volunteer it.

If I'm really struck by a quilt, I'll comment that I think it's beautiful, etc. Thankfully, tastes vary widely, and every quilt is going to be found beautiful by some of us!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I assume that if a person is seeking a critical viewpoint, they will have said something to indicate that. Something like, 'What do you think about . . .', 'is this border color okay . . .', 'need input on such and such . . .', 'please let me know if you see something out of place . . .', 'how can I match seams better . . .', etc. If someone hasn't indicated they want critical feedback, I wouldn't volunteer it.

If I'm really struck by a quilt, I'll comment that I think it's beautiful, etc. Thankfully, tastes vary widely, and every quilt is going to be found beautiful by some of us!
I think we were all taught the adage: If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. So unless someone asks for advice giving advice is not usually welcomed. If something I want to say has been said a zillion times, I know I don't post the same thing. But if a post doesn't have very many responses, I do leave a response to help encourage people.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:41 AM

I don't always comment. Most of the time, previous posters have already said what I would have said.

I post pictures of mine because I don't really know too many people who would really appreciate quilting. Those of us on this board know the time and care that goes into these things.

It's nice to hear you did a good job. My quilts aren't outstanding but people like them and I have fun putting them together. Quilting is supposed to be fun, right?

Sometimes I don't post because there are things I don't like like the pattern or color scheme.

But most quilts are beautiful even if they aren't perfect.

That color scheme I hate might really speak to someone else and inspire them.

Isn't that what these picture threads are about? To share our creativity, and be inspired by the creativity of others?

I'm not going to worry if people aren't commenting enough.

A lot of people are kind of reserved even on a sort of anonymous forum and will only lurk without posting.

Doesn't mean they don't like our work.

The important thing is do we have fun doing this? Do our creations make ourselves and others happy? If so, then our work is good and we don't need anyone else's approval.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I have to agree that not everyone needs to comment on every quilt. Just saying "nicely done" doesn't indicate that the viewer gave any thought to the quilt (but it is a way of increasing their post count on the board). It takes time to frame a thoughtful response. Plus, we all have our preferences and are drawn to different colors, styles, and designs, and commenting on something that just doesn't float your boat seems a little phony.

When I see that many people viewed but didn't comment on one of my posts it doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean they didn't like the quilt (although I'm sure that some did, and some didn't).

However, I do agree that when we see a quilt that really catches our eye, we should make an effort to let the quilter know that we like that quilt and why. But sometimes personal reasons get in the way of posting, and sometimes we just get out of the habit.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM

I enjoy seeing photos of quilts for inspiration on future projects to try. It is very helpful to get pattern names, tips on how it is constructed,etc. I often look, comment on those that really speak to me.
I post photos for the same reasons, to share, hopefully inspire a little spark of creativity, and share "how to's". Getting feedback is very encouraging too! But I don't expect everyone that looks to comment. And, I may be wrong on this, but I think anyone on the web can view threads, but can't comment unless they are registered on the Board----I guess I always thought that was the large difference between the 'viewed' and 'comments' numbers.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

When my bandwidth permits, I like to look at the quilts in the picture section, and comment when something strikes my interest. I just assume that my taste isn't everyone elses. I post photos of finished projects because I don't keep a journal, I'm not on pinterest or snapfish or (horrors) facebook. I use the board to record my stuff. I try and put the name of the pattern, size of the quilt and any other helpful info in the posting.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I am 73 and work full time at WalMart and I am guilty of not commenting sometimes but I am going to try to put forth an effort. Comments were made about not knowing what to say sometimes but I think I can always find something good to say whether it is great color, love your pattern or looks like a lot of work. IMHO I am going to try to do better myself and just offerred this as a suggestion.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I think that some quilters are still running a tight ship and just may NOT have the time like some of us have being retired.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:05 PM

If I posted on every photo we all post of our amazing work. I wouldn't get anything else done.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Just me personally... I think if someone has questions and wants advice those would be in the Main discussion section.. asking specific questions. The picture section I think of more as just show and tell. At least that's how I am on the board. I do ask for help and appreciate all of the tips that I have gotten