Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foot pain from quilting-anyone but me? >

Foot pain from quilting-anyone but me?

Foot pain from quilting-anyone but me?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM

This is something you might want to try Warning I am not a doctor. Do not take this as a diagnosis. I had a similar pain years ago and a friend who is a physical therapist told me to sit in a chair. place a tennis ball in a thick tube sock and put the sock on the floor. Then while sitting, massage your foot by placing your foot onto the ball and roll the ball around with your foot applying gentle pressure so you feel a little stretch BUT NO PAIN. be sure to focus on your arch.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Try a wedge shaped block to mount your foot petal on , so the angle is not so severe for your foot. Do note once inflammed as you are .. you should not aggravate the inflammation for a few days. Do take asprin or another anti inflammitory to assist in the healing. Heat is not recommended for inflammation .. Ice or cool temps are recommended.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Several years ago a physical therapist told me to stand on a step with the ball of your foot on the step and the arch and heel over the edge. Then slowly move your heel down below the level of the step, then raise up on the ball of the foot. Repeat this several times. Whenever I start feeling any heel pain I do this little exercise, and since that time I have not had plantar faciitis.

Just be sure to hang on to the stair railing for safety.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
gus

Originally Posted by Quilt Novice View Post
This is something you might want to try Warning I am not a doctor. Do not take this as a diagnosis. I had a similar pain years ago and a friend who is a physical therapist told me to sit in a chair. place a tennis ball in a thick tube sock and put the sock on the floor. Then while sitting, massage your foot by placing your foot onto the ball and roll the ball around with your foot applying gentle pressure so you feel a little stretch BUT NO PAIN. be sure to focus on your arch.
I have heard about the tennis ball and the stair step exercise also you can try standing up on your tip toes to stretch the arch muscles out
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM

I have had plantars fascitis and used the tennis ball in the sock method and a frozen water bottle. There are tons of exeercises on the internet. Mine comes and goes.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM

I've rolled a frozen water bottle on the floor under my arch when I've had that pain. Gave me a lot of relief. Be sure to rest it from the pain you have now, and see a Dr. if it doesn't get better in a while.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

Oh I am so sorry, my feet ache from standing but have not had that!!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Aleve works great for me.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM

Thank you all so much for your ideas, experience, and expertise! It's great not to be in the Titanic alone, but sorry so many have experienced this pain. Will rejoice with you when I recover! Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:30 PM

I was having troublesome pain in my foot after sitting a long time at my machine. I talked to my DH about it and we came up with the idea of mounting the foot peddle on the leg of the custom table he made for me. Since the machine always sits in the same place the peddle would also always be in the same place. He did make it attach by strong velcro so that I could remove it for taking the machine to sewins and "camping" in our trailer in the summer. This has eased a lot of trouble for me.