Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foot pedal or no foot pedal? >

Foot pedal or no foot pedal?

Foot pedal or no foot pedal?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 AM

I use my knee lift when I am doing curves and top stitching appliques. It really helps when you have to pivot a lot. Use the start\stop button occasionally. Not much. Would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a thread cutter, but love my Babylock so another machine not in the future..:')..............
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 AM

I have a Brother machine with the sew button. Only works if the foot pedal is not plugged in, which is a bit of a pain. I do not like sewing with the button as I prefer the variable control of the foot pedal. I love being able to wind bobbins without using the foot pedal.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 AM

My DGD uses the auto pilot button on my second Janome because she can't reach the foot petal.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM

It would be awfully hard for me to give up my foot control...have used it so many years I would feel out of control any other way I think. I think I used a knee control in home ec class in high school and that was 40+ years ago.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM

I have a Husqvarna SE. Love the thread cutter, I do not have to stick my head under the quilt to cut the bobbin thread. I never use the auto sew I usually use the foot control. I have a button on the front I just push and it and it will auto sew and I can regulate the speed. I also do not have a pressure foot lever. The foot just automatically goes up or down with a touch of the foot control. Love this machine and would have a hard time going back to a machine that does not have all the features this one does. Only thing it does not do is make supper when I have been sewing all day or do the dishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I love auto pilot and the speed governor on my Brother. I use auto pilot (no foot pedal) when I'm sewing straight seams in strips, or doing SID. It takes a while to get used to, but it is so nice not to have to use a foot pedal all of the time.
I have a Janome MC9700, a thread cutter which I love, and the option to sew without using the foot. Like Ranchwife, I'll use the "auto pilot" when sewing straight seams, especially long ones, and doing SID. I also use it with some kinds of free motion quilting when I leave the feet dogs up. That way, my "stitch regulator" is essentially engaged, or it gives the machine a stitch regulator (not sure which), and my FMQ is steady with equal distance stitches. It really helps my shoulders because by doing it with feed dogs up and auto stitching, I"m not hanging on to the "sandwich" as hard. I can do FMQ with the feed dogs down and my darning foot, but it's hard on my shoulders.

I have two mini Aussies, and they love to "herd" me when I'm sewing. Nothing goes without their close scrutiny!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Have a brother SQ9000 I bought for the 80 stitches. Never use foot peddle, but with dogs here worry one will decide to chew on the cords and so if I don't have to I don't. Button is right on front and I have gotten used to it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM

I've had my BabyLock Elizabeth for a month or so now. I adore the thread cutter more than any other feature! It saves thread and I don't have to hold the thread when starting a new seam to keep the needle from unthreading. Awesome! I do use the start/stop button a lot with longer seams but still use the foot pedal for shorter seams and lots of starts/stops and pivoting. Love, love, love the sliding speed control! My 4 yr old grandson loves to 'help' me sew. We made a potholder for Mother's Day for his Mommy. He loved pushing the start/stop button for me and using the speed control on slow helped our sewing to be a little safer for him. The auto threader is nice but I could live w/o it if needed. I haven't tried the knee lifter yet. I suppose I should! LOL. As a lover of vintage machines, I do have to admit these new computerized contraptions have a lot going for them! LOL!!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 PM

This is such an interesting thread, thanks for posting it. I have a stop and start button as well. I use for embroidery but ....please don't laugh....I never ever thought of using it for FMQ. I can hardly wait to try it!
Old 05-19-2013, 05:16 AM

Mine does have the foot pedal but I also have the ability to sew/embroider without it. I actually have two that can do this, one with a knee lift and the other by push button. There are times, when I would not be able to sew successfully without the foot pedal, with either machine. It is a great feature but I'm glad to have the foot pedal for when its needed.

I have the thread cutter on both machines. My one ties off the thread before cutting the thread and yes, I love that feature, alot.